Found out today that my mum who is 81 years old has cancer

My partner and i went to see my mums consultant today without mum , she has been unwell for sometime , tierd al the time loosing weight and loose bowels . We were told she has a blockage in her large bowel which they feel is cancer .The  results were taken from a detailed scan before xmas. they feel mum is not in good enough health to have any further investigations. 

I am totally devastated and havet even told her . My sisters a nusre and we have agreed to not say anything untill she is seen by the consultant in 2 weeks time .  

• How awful. When my husband was diagnosed last year we decided not to tell my daughter due to exams. It was the hardest thing to do, but, shed figured it out for herself

• So hard I know.....I had to tell my Mum in Law she was dying just before Christmas! No one else wanted to do it (not even the doctors!) but in the end she was glad I did because she was able to make her own arrangements for after....Even picking her own hymns and who she wanted to take the service. It wasn't the first time I had been in that position as my step Gran organised her own end.....A natural death at home (pancreatic cancer) and she even wanted a cardboard coffin which we all painted and wrote stories/messages and poems on then took upstairs to show her...! But these things are very much down to personal choice and this is alot for you to get your head around right now but it can be an up-lifting although very sad experience to help someone prepare for the end! I wish you and your family all the strength you need to get through these difficult times.x