Flu Jab

Hello 

I’m just after some advice please, my dad have been diagnosed with Rectal Cancer and will start chemo and Radiotherapy next week.

He’s been told to have the flue jab which he has done, I will be taking him everyday for his treatment for the next 5 weeks and I was just wondering if I should also have the flu Jab as we have been told that his immune system will be very low.

i would the grateful for any help 

Kind Regards 

Melanie 

• Welcome to Cancer Chat, Melanie13 and thanks for posting a question.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's situation, this must be a worrying time for you.

As for the question you asked, I'm afraid that as I'm not a doctor I can't give you advice. Have you tried reaching his consultant about him getting the flu jab? If not perhaps it is a good idea to do so as they would be the best person to give you advice, as they're familiar with your dad's medical history.

And if for some reason you can't do this, why not try to give our cancer nurses a call and ask if they can shed some light? If this sounds like a good idea feel free to ring them on their telephone number 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes to you and your dad,

Renata,Cancer Chat Moderator

• I think you’re asking about you getting the jab and yes it’s a good idea. My husband has had the jab and our daughters are having an early vaccination as well this year. My oncologist said this was a wise move xx