First Chemo Session - grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma

Hi I was diagnosed at the end of June with grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma. I’ve got my first EC chemo session on Friday and wondering if anyone had any tips on what to expect regarding side effects (I know everyone is different and is affected differently) and any useful suggestions of what to take with me? 

Thank you

• hi

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I too have the same diagnosis and I’m on my fourth round of chemo ( had it yesterday).  As you say everyone’s different but this is what’s worked for me . 

If you need any dental work try and get it done before hand. 

I moisturise my skin everyday and look after my nails and lots of hand cream, rosehip oil on my face. 

Drink lots of water prior to and for the days after. 

I lost my hair, not sure if they have advised the same. If so have a think about whether you will get a wig, it’s easier if you get it matched while you have hair or there are loads of headscarves out there. I also decided to bite the bullet and get my head shaved.

i consider my self lucky so far with very few side effects, mainly heartburn which I got tablets for and loss of taste which I find mint sweets and ginger biscuits help. And tiredness for about a week afterwards so I just sleep if I need to. And then I get out as much as I can. 

Ive also changed my diet I have smoothies or juices every day packed full of immune boosting stuff whether it helps or not I’m not sure but I feel like it does so I’m sticking with it. 

Hope that helps, hope your first session goes as well as it can do. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. 

• Hi aj 

Cemo can take a long time also depending on time of appointment you can be late going in, take something to read, some food and drink once in your not allowed out till treatment finished, good luck 

Billy 

• hi 

I forgot to say that the hospital i go tondoes free complimentary/alternative therapies, worth asking if it’s something your are interested in. Also ask if you get help with parking fees. I take an iPad with a film to watch while I’m there it passes the time.

WL

• Hi if you do park in car park most hospitals you don't pay have a word with oncology reception because it varies some places use camera some tickets good luck, 

Billy 

• Hi Billy 

thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it.

AJ x

• Hi WL

Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it. I had my first chemo session Friday and haven’t been too bad with side effects, although I seem to be really suffering from indigestion today!! 

Hope you’re ok 

AJ x

• hey

glad to hear it went well. Give your gp a call for the indigestion, mine prescribed me something the same day. 

Wl