First chemo

First chemo today. Arrived at 9.30. Blood pressure and temperature taken. I was the given steroids and 2 antisickness tablets. Cannula fitted in arm. Saline solution to flush through by drip. I'm am having FEC drugs for breast cancer. Red E drug given first, makes your pee red! Then other 2 drugs with saline in between. I drank lots of water with a little flavouring. My dear old mother always gave us Lemon Barley water when we were unwell as kids so I drank that! 12.30 it was all over. Felt a bit spaced out but no bad side effects. Put electric blanket on when I got home and slept for 3 hours in afternoon. Woke up and had shower and chicken broth and a few grapes. Didn't feel like much food, but no nausea. I am expecting side effects to kick in in the next few days but who knows! Chemo nurse was lovely and answered all my questions, which was a lot! 
So one down and five to go......to be continued

Love Silver

• Hi there

You sound very positive - well done. Do take all the sickness meds you have been given as it is easier to ward off nausea than stop it once it starts. My husband is OK the day after chemo but starts to feel rough after that but everyone is different.

How often are your chemo cycles? His are supposed to be two weekly cycles but they have been delayed when his blood tests showed anaemia or low white cell count.  Hard to plan ahead nowadays.

best wishes

Ronnie 46

• I was thinking of you today Silver as I started my first radiotherapy. Glad you went ok.  It must have been an ordeal although it sounds like you faced it really well . 

Take care of yourself. We will get there. 

Kebb x 

• Yes, I had very bad sickness after surgery so nurse has given me lots of anti sickness tablets. Im only the day after so not expecting to get away with side effects. Will just take it easy today. My chemo is every 3 weeks for 6 times, 18 weeks in total. Blood tests 2 days before to see if cell count is OK. Only 5 to go. Hoping you can plan things soon, once the treatment is over.

Sending you and your husband good wishes.

Silver

• Hi I was under the impression I was starting chemo next week but got an appointment for 11th March for blood tests for kidney tests, do you remember if you had this before chemo can start x 

• Hi, everybody's cancer treatment is different, but as I found, your team will test and scan every piece of information they need and discuss it before deciding on the best treatment for you. 

Silver x