Financial Advice

Hi All,

I am writing on behalf of my 23 year old housemate who is currently undergoing chemo for Pancreatic cancer.

His treatment is going ok but he is experiencing lots of side effects. During his treatment he has also suffered with depression which isn't surprising considering what he is going through. 

He is a chef and is working a 50 hour week on an awful wage. He is so scared of being signed of work as he will become depressed not having a purpose each day and also having financial strain. On top of normal rent going out of his finances he also (admittedly stupidly) got signed up to a car on lease prior to finding out he has cancer. He doesn't want the car anymore but has to continue paying off the lease. I know he is worrying every day that he will not be able to keep up with payments and there is the possibility that he may even have to declare himself bankrupt. 

He also has no family at all to support him, just myself and a friend at work. If I could give him support financially I would in a heartbeat however I'm not in a position to do so.

is there anyone out there that has any advice or experience with this issue that could give us a bit of light at the end of the tunnel? 

• Hello concernedhousemate.  Sorry to learn of your friend's illness and the problems that have followed from it.  I know nothing of car leasing - but he cannot be the first position to be in this position.  Was there no insurance cover in the event of his being unable to continue working?  I don't know the nature of his employment contract either but attach information on this subject from MacMillan Cancer Support in case it is useful.

www.macmillan.org.uk/.../your-rights.html

In any event I think your friend should ring MacMillan Cancer Support (Freefone 0808 808 0000) to talk about the problems with the car as well.  They seem to have so much knowledge of things which affect cancer patients I am sure they will help you.

If all else fails how about *** with proof of illness?  Just a thought.  Annie