Fibroadenoma

I found a lump a while back, thought nothing of it but over the course of a few months its got bigger. So, I went to my GP who put in an urgent referral to breast clinic.

My appointment was today, I was expecting one of two things. To be told its a cyst or something innocent and walk out over the moon and put all of the bad thoughts out of my mind, or to be told its Cancer and try and deal with it as best I can. I have come out, feeling neither of those. 

First off I was examined, I told her the lump was in my right breast. She felt around towards the bottom of my breast and asked me if that was where the lump was, which it wasn't, so I said no and she soon found the lump I was aware of. Naturally alarm bells are ringing for me as she had clearly felt something else that I wasnt aware of. I got dressed and we sat down, she said she thinks its Fibroadenoma but was sending me for an Ultrasound Scan to clarify.

I went to the Ultrasound Scan and the Radiographer said she is 'pretty positive' its Fibroadenoma, but to keep an eye out for any changes. Now, when I went to see my GP he told me that I would have a needle inserted so they could try and draw some fluid to asscertain whether it was a cyst or not. I questioned the Raidographer as to why I wasnt having this, she said because the lump is solid its definitely not a cyst, and is most likely to be Fibroadenoma, but never actually said it is 100% Fibroadenoma. She then said I was being discharged and to keep an eye on it and go back to my GP immediately if anything changes. I asked why I wasnt being sent for further tests seeing as they werent saying it WAS Fibroadenoma. She said, due to my age (I am 22) they are not able to send me for any further tests. They would only do this if I was 25 or above.

I can't help but feel sick with worry now, but I have been discharged with no further investigation. Is this right? Has anyone else been through something similar to this?

Sorry for the long post - thanks x

• Welcome to the forum Meg although I'm sorry for the reason you're joining us.

If you haven't been back to your GP since you went to the breast clinic, it may be worth doing so as it will give you the chance to let them know what happened and how it's made you feel. You can also find out if there are any other options available to you.

Hopefully some of our other members who have been in a similar position will share their advice and experiences with you soon but you're welcome to talk things through with our cancer nurses on 0808 800 4040. Their phone lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator