Feeling tired 4 months after treatment

I was diagnosed in January 2016 with early Tongue cancer in march 2016 had laser treatment on Tongue, then in August found lymph node enlarged cancer spread to lymph node in neck had a neck diesection in September 2016 then in October had 2 lots of chemotherapy (cisplatin) and nearly 7 weeks of radiotherapy finished on 22nd November.

had a few side effects sore mouth loss of taste buds, within two months I was back to normal felt ok no tiredness nothing just left with a croaky voice.

But now 4 months after treatment I feel weak in my legs when I walk down the road, feeling quite tired I never felt like this when I was having treatment or after, is it normal to start having fatigue 4 months after treatment.

• Hi tudorblue, I just wanted to pop on and say hello as I noticed you'd not received a reply yet.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so fatigued after treatment. I had a look on the website and found some information on tiredness with cancer, which may be of interest. Have you spoken to your doctor about how you're feeling? 

Hopefully, someone who has gone through similar experiences will be along soon to share their thoughts here. I remember that one of our friendly members, [@Vatch]‍, for example, is a couple of years' post-treatment for throat cancer, and may well be able to share his thoughts on whether this was something he experienced. 

Our team of cancer nurses are available to talk if you'd like to ask any questions - you can reach them on 0808 800 4040.

Wishing you all the best,

Helen

Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi tudor

welcome to the forum and flipping well done on getting this far

i think sometimes we forget how vulnerable or bodies are to disease but when a  bad one hits like cancer, we don't really realise the full impact it takes on our health and how weak and tired it actually makes us

so welcome to the world of being a cancer survivor

I myself am 2.5 years post treatment for throat cancer

6 weeks of Tomotherapy and 6 8 hour session of chemo trapsing backwards and forwards weighing what came out of me .... you might know what I am talking about there

before my cancer treatment I would wake every morning at 6:30 even at weekends .... now days my head hits the pillow at around 11:30pm and I am gone by 11:35 until my alarm goes off at 6:50 and at weekends I won't wake until after 8:30 or my dogs think I've spent enough time in bed now

the tiredness gets better, but for me it's never gone but my God do a sleep like a baby now and I love it

i do a lot mind you .. I go to the gym once a week, play football every week and salsa dance for 2 hours every week with my wife .... oh and my dogs walk me several times during the week to

i also have a full time job

so not a bad recovery for a 54 year old

just give in to the fatigue for now, you have been through a lot more than myself and your body is saying ... I will get betting, but in my own time

eat healthily and rest when you can, but enjoy life too .... yes you will pay for it sometimes .... but at least we have the chance to

for what you have been through it will take time to repair

hows your taste doing these days

shout if you have any questions

vatch

• Hi everyone, I was curious about this as well, I've recently finished having external beam radiotherapy for cancer on my voice box finished (13/01/23) generally I feel it went well and symptoms were okay considering, but it's now middle of May and I'm still really tired, I'm a builder by trade and after doing 9 hours every day on site in just done in, was wondering if this is generally normal or should I speak to the oncologist about it all?

Jon

• Hi Jon and welcome to the Cancer Chat forum.

I just wanted to reply to you as this thread hasn't been active since 2017.

I'm glad to hear your treatment has gone well although I'm sorry to hear about the tiredness you've been contending with since finishing your radiotherapy.

Fatigue and tiredness after cancer treatment can last some time, but if you're worried there's no harm discussing this with your oncologist.

You're also welcome to talk about this and any other concerns you may have at this time with our team of cancer nurses on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope this helps and that your tiredness starts to become more manageable for you soon.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator