Feeling lost.

Hi all, sorry this is a long one. Im 34, with 4 young children, and driving myself crazy.

So, 12 weeks ago I found a lump behind my nipple i was referred to breast clinic under 2ww. 

I had a core biopsy done and a scan, and they said i had duct ectasia and periductal mastitis. My core biopsy results came back negative. 

Anyway, after my biospy I had massive swelling and my nipple inverted. I was returned to the breast clinic, and the same consultant said there was inflammation around the clip inserted and sent me home on antibiotics, to return in 6 weeks.

I returned Monday just gone, lump has shrunk but nipple is more inverted. 

They gave me two scans and a mamogram, and sent me for an mri which I had today (however the machine broke midway through contrast so I dont know if I'm going to have to return) 

I'm so worried, im being given mixed signals, the breast consultant said they see no mass on the scans, lymph nodes dont look inflamed, just lots of inflammation. 

However, a trainee dr I saw told me there was shadowing and it looked sinister..

Then I spoke to the breast nurse who said they weren't worried, and the mri was precautionary. 

But the mri team told me im on the cancer pathway. 

I am going out of my mind with worry, everyone is contradicting each other. 

Surely the mamogram, one of the 5 scans or the biopsy would have given a hint? 

Has anyone else been through something like this?

• Hey,

My story is quite different to yours. I have lots of lumps on my arms back & shoulders. I've had them over a year & got told it was all different things but after my persistence I finally got a biopsy done. It went to one hospital & they didn't know what it was so it got sent to a cancer clinic. I was meant to have my next appointment at hospital 1 in November to discuss the findings of hospital 2. However today hospital 2 (cancer clinic) called & asked me to go in on Monday but wouldn't discuss anything else. I've been so anxious for weeks now & this is the icing on the cake. I have told some family & some friends & spent a lot of the day crying. Allow yourself to recognise the feelings you're having. This is so so so stressful. Make sure you talk to someone. Even not knowing is extremely stressful. Sending positive vibes xx

•  

Hi Flossy,

A very warm welcome to our forum. I know that this is a worrying time, especially when your results are inconclusive. So far it sounds as if all tests are coming back with favourable results.

You were most unfortunate that the MRI machine broke down today. It's bad enough waiting for some answers, without having delays like this.

The mixed messages that you're getting must be very frustrating. I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 11 years and, had to have an MRI in the early stages, as well as all the usual tests involved in breaast cancer diagnosis. An MRI gives a clear view of what is happening in the breast and, it sounds as if you may need another one when the machine is repaired. You could also be referred to another centre for this.

Did the radiographer give you any idea of whether or not they might need to recall you, or when you might be brought back?

Have you been given the name of a breast care nurse? If so perhaps you could phone her and ask what the position is? Failing this, why not phone your consultant's secretary and ask where you stand now?

It is not satisfactory to have to wait too long for another MRI.

I do hope that you are told something soon and that it remains good news. Please keep in touch. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx