Feeling lost.........

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. I'm 47 with 2 children and I'm at the stage of this journey of feeling scared, tearful and trying to make sense of it all!! I'm gradually telling friends but if I hear one more time "you're young and healthy and positive" I think I'm going to scream! I run my own business so I'm also concerned about keeping that going. I'm having a mastectomy next month - can anyone on here let me know how long it takes to recover? (I know everyone is different but it would help to have an idea). Also can you drive straight-away? Just would appreciate some support from those of you who are out the other side of this nightmare!! Thanks ladies. x

• Hello lovvie, I’ve just come out of surgery last Friday.  I didn’t have a mastectomy but a “wide local excision”.  I’m afraid you won’t be driving for a little while so you’re going to need to get some cover in place.  I think they say 6-8 weeks but each case is different.  Do you have a partner/husband? Mine told his work about my diagnosis pretty much straight away as even though I could have driven myself to those early appointments, it’s much better to have someone drive you because it’s all very stressful and traumatic.  His work have been fab as they know he’ll not take the pee, but he can take whatever time is needed.

Your situation is different of course as you have children and your own business to run. It is the time to call in favours and ask for help - I KNOW it probably doesn’t sit very well with you either but needs must. Sit down and make a list of the jobs that you’re most worried about and then think about who in your circle you can delegate to. Discuss with your partner.  Discuss with your best friend/s. Is your business a “one man band” or is there someone you employ that can step up to the mark - temporarily - and take over from you for the next few months?  Most people are genuine when they offer help and you can tell the ones who are saying “let me know if there’s anything I can do” but don’t really mean it!

Just as you do in business, start planning for this, it helps you to feel in control. I’m looking on this as one of life’s annoying little blips to be got through and out the other end.  You can do it. Xx

• Thanks for your kind words and I hope you are starting to recover well.  Yes my husband has told work and they are being pretty good about it all.  I'm lucky that the hospital is 10 minutes away by bus so that is always an option for me.

I run my business from home (I'm an accountant) so hopefully I can keep it ticking over during the summer holidays.  I think I will plan for the kids to see friends and family during some of the holiday period as we were booked to go away and now have to cancel!

Just so much to juggle............xxx

• Hi there Devon lady,

I can totally empathise. I was diagnosed on 10th April with DCIS and IDS so had a mastectomy followed by DIEP reconstruction on 11th June. I was discharged home on 15th June. 

I'm 51 but still had the comments about being young and healthy as well as positive. I know it's hard and you feel like screaming but people really don't know what else to say or how they should react. I don't think I ever did before this and I was one of those who never thought it would happen to me.

I have tummy pain which is uncomfortable but am really impressed with my new breast and the pain in minimal. I can drive for at least 6 weeks and feel very tired very easily which also isn't me. 

I have worried about how to manage financially but have found that it doesn't help and if you're struggling talk to creditors they have all been brilliant. 

It is alright not to be alright all of the time. It is a worrying time for you but I am living proof this can all work out right.

I have also done a lot of googling but it doesn't always help. Your own but gut instinct will tell you when you are ready to do things, just don't rush.

I hope this helps, if only in a tiny way x

• Thanks for your reply which helps me realise I am not alone!  My surgeon has recommended an implant which will mean I don't need to recover from surgery on any other part of my body too.

I hope you continue to make a good recovery.xxx

• How are you feeling today?  I hope the tummy pain is getting better - is that where you had reconstruction from?  I have a reconstruction meeting on Friday to find out what is best.  Did you get a choice too?  I'm feeling more positive today as my business partner is able to help me out with the workload over the next few months.

I'm also feeling really tired though.  I don't know if it's the emotional side taking it's toll on me.  Did you feel tired prior to your op?  I keep thinking that a breast tumour can't make you tired.....!

xx

• Hi devonlady, have a look at "the good and the bad" ladies with your problem at different stages,. Plenty to talk about,

Billy 

• Hi there,

I woke this morning and decided it was going to be a positive day. My daughter brought me some big support pants to help as this was suggested at the hospital and they have really helped. 

I attended the hospital for a dressings/wound check, walked all the way from car park and back. I'm 9 days post up and the nurse was really pleased as was I with the healing, she wasn't yet concerned about the pain saying early days.

I did get tired and although I don't personally think it was the cancer I do believe it was the emotional and mental effects that perhaps I didn't realise at the time.

I did have the reconstruction from my tummy yes and was also given different ways this can be done as I didn't want an implant. Options of back and bottom was given as well as a new technique from the thighs although this is very new and Sheffield had only done the procedure 4 times previously. 

I am really happy with my outcome. My breast is far better than I imagined and my tummy is now flat. I said at least something good has to come from something so cruel..It's kept me going!!

I'm really pleased for you that you are getting the business support, it could take so much pressure of you. I hope that you get the answers/advise at your appointment, it is a massive operation but worth it.

Plead keep me posted and good luck xx

• Hello - hope you are still recovering well and remaining positive.  I just want the operation over with so that I can start to get on with "normal" life!  Three weeks to go...

I saw my consultant on Friday and was advised to have an implant. She says that the recovery time is around 3 weeks and I can't drive for that time either.  Obviously she went through all the possible negatives of reconstruction which were a bit scary!

We also went to Macmillan cancer support afterwards and spoke to a very nice lady.  I think it helped me a bit to answer her questions about how I was feeling (although I couldn't stop crying!).  At least my husband got a good idea of how it is affecting me emotionally.

Take care and hope the sun is shining where you are.........are you near Sheffield?  I am in Plymouth.

xx

• Hi guys - so glad to read that everyone is feeling a bit more positive. In answer to an earlier question about feeling tired in the lead up to your op - YES! I felt very tired too which I thought was weird because I kept thinking “I’m still normal, there’s nothing wrong with me except I have this thing that needs to be cut out”, but I guess it’s the stress of it all, plus the anticipation of what’s to come, you can think of very little else.  And if you’re anything like me, you don’t want to keep on about it all the time, so keeping your thoughts tucked away to yourself is probably quite tiring!

Getting back to normal is the big thing - moving on away from this blip in my life, not letting it “define” who I am.  It’s now 11 days since my op.  My dressings are off and the scars look neat.  I have my follow-up appointment this Thursday when I will get to ask my surgeon all the questions on my list! Hopefully my margins were clear (I thought maybe I would have heard by now if they weren’t).

Keep strong and positive ladies, and focus on that end goal: normal.  Lots of love xx

• Thanks for your reply.  It's good to know that feeling tired is perfectly normal as I go through this journey (or ordeal as I should say!!).

Really hope that your meeting goes well with the surgeon and you are all clear.  The waiting is the hardest bit for me.

Thinking of you...xxx