Feeling lost

i was diagnosed in Dec 16 with stage 3 breast cancer, HER2+, oestrogen +, lymph nodes affected. I had 8 rounds of chemo, developed heart problems from herceptin (6 rounds still to go), after surgery developed a seroma which burst and didn't heal for 14 weeks, had 33 radiotherapy sessions and started tamoxifen which has put me into chemical menopause. My libido seems to have disappeared and I'm suffering pretty severe intimacy problems.

i had a full response to chemo and clear margins at surgery. I know I am really lucky, so why do I feel so tearful and exhausted? My family has been amazing throughout but sometimes I feel that they don't understand the fear and also how much cancer has changed my life. 

I feel ugly and unfeminine, I no longer want to go to work ( I barely missed a day even during chemo when I was pretty sick) - Im self employed so I don't have much choice. I've always loved working and so this feeling is very unsettling. I used to be a distance amateur runner and miss the sport and social life. People say things like "well, it's not good for your joints as you get older". I know they want to help but I feel like screaming. I'm fed up of feeling exhausted, of taking pills and saying I'm fine. I'm struggling to cope with the blood tests and scans, it's like living with the fear of it coming back.

i know some of this is normal but I would really appreciate some advice. I feel like I'm being really selfish as I know all my family have suffered but I think if it was nt for my dog I would just disappear for a few months.

Do I just muddle through or can anyone offer any coping strategies? 

Thankyou so much.

• Hello Matas8.  So sorry to learn that you are feeling so low but pleased you have come to this forum.  You are always welcome here and there are ladies on this forum who have had similar treatment and will well understand your feelings.  Those of us who have not had your experience - and I come into this category, I come on this forum as someone who has lost too many family and friends to cancer - can so easily say the wrong thing.

I am attaching some information about body image from MacMillan Cancer Support.  I realise you may have already made use of MacMillan's website as there is a lot of useful information there - in which case  my apologies.  Have you considered ringing MacMillan (Freefone 0808 808 0000)?  Many people here have found this useful; they talk with and give advice to anyone affected by cancer.  You can also ring the nurses on this website (Freefone 0808 808 4040) who will give help when you are struggling.  And I hope you will find the stories from other ladies who have had breast cancer helpful.

My best wishes.  Annie

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/changes-to-appearance-and-body-image/body-image-after-treatment

• Hi there ... I'm a grade 3 her 2 lady ... It maybe your family are as worried but trying to be strong for you  ... Lots of people feel unsure about life post cancer treatment ... It can be very confusing . . Everyone rallies round when first diagnosed and once things are on the up, everyone goes back to normal ... Which is good in one way but for us it never stops . . Every headache every pain in our heads , makes us wonder if that damn cancers creeping back . .

The bad news is you have to get used to that feeling as it's so normal . . That's why we come on here, because we all between us know those feelings . . But I'm just thinking if I wake up in the morning ... Well I'm still here, make the most of today . . If you can make the most of being here every day, and forgive your family and realizing they are probably trying to keep things normal ... And take every day you have as a gift ... And when things get you down , you can post on here and know your not alone ... Use those numbers Annie gave you as mcmillan were there for me when l was needing to chat ... 

Big hug chrisie xx