Feeling confused

My dad was diagnosed with end stage mesothelioma of the lungs in January and he is now sleeping all the time, lost his interest in conversation and appetite has gone. His decline in health is moving along so fast and the pain of watching him go through this is unbearable. Watching my mums emotions and anguish adds to my pain also and I feel guilt and silly for crying all the time as I know there is worse to come and feel I should be reserving my crying time for when it's needed when he gets worse. Today I took a day off work as I couldn't be bothered listening to all the trivial complaints my patients have (I'm a nurse practitioner) but then feel bad because to them, their problem is important. I cry at work, in the car, dream about the cancer and I am shattered. I'm not sure how you are meant to feel in times like this, as there's no text book to guide you on how you should react. I feel guilty for wishing he would die quickly so that he doesn't need to go through what's coming and I feel a burden to others as I'm struggling to find my cheeky spark I'm renound for. Is all this normal? 

I want to also ask the question, when your loved one sleeps 80%of the time, eats very little and withdraws, does that mean weeks or months left? I can't bear the thought of months of this anguish. 

• Hi there ...

So so sorry your going through so much at this time ... and you know it's quite normal to not them to keep suffering ... it just that thought adds to feeling guilty ... when it's just loving someone so much, and seeing them like this, is just overwhelming. . Your so right, we learn lessons at school .. maths English .. history ... even cooking ... l remember logarthams... never used that once ..

. but nothing on life and loosing people ... having a new baby ... paying bills , all the things we need, are not taught ...  your cheeky spark is still there, it's just hybinating... and that weird part of life, when we go to work/ shopping / driving the car ...  why is everything going on as normal, when your world has turned upside down ... l remember thinking it was like doing things but in a robot way ... all the time inside your hearts braking ....

Please be kind to your self ... just go with these feelings ... holding them in helps no one .. know they are your brain trying to make sense of it all ... when there is none ... you can use this place to get those feelings and emotions out ... this is a place where we know what cancer does ... wer living it too ...

There's no knowing how long your dad may have ... some rally round for a while, some go quicker then others .. try living in the day ... take each day as it comes ... share tears and feelings with those close ... they may need to cry / vent or just say how they feel ... this last path your dad's on, is easier with you all walking the same one ... even if he sees you cry, he will feel it's o.k to cry too ... 

Always here if you want to "let it all out"  there's lots on here going through the same situation as you ... your not alone ...  Chrissie xx

• Thank you chrissie. Lovely words with very deep meaning.  It is right when you say what cancer does and this place is a place where we all know and feel  on here. That reassures me. I've always been the one on the other side of cancer..  As a health care professional. Being on this side is more tormenting and torturous than I could ever have imagined. The power of the big 'C' is like nothing I've ever experienced and it consumes your world.

Thankyou again. With love and thoughts and wishing you good health, 

Amanda xx

• Sorry, Chriss, not chrissie xx

• Hi there ...

You know as painfull as this is right now, it will give you the insite later to really empathise when you come across others in life ... we can either learn from these times or just carry on ... everything in life will teach you something ... l couldn't come on here if I hadn't had so much loss in life ... 

I've taken all those loved ones I lost, or are now suffering with cancer / dementure / Parkinson's and lots more and tried to take those feelings and turn it into something positive ... think my mum would smile down at me now ... as I've taken all those lessons she taught me, to try to help others .. it's because of her ... we can either forever feel overwhelmed,  or we can say .. it makes me smile because I was blessed to have had them in my life ... they don't leave us ... they just wait till it's our turn .. so many say they see those that they lost near the end ... 

When I go, I'll have one hand stretched out for my mum, and with the other, I'll stick two fingers up to cancer ... because cancer wants loved ones to suffer .. it wants to be the only memory we have ... well you always think of your dad for all those years he gave you before cancer .. that is what he'd want you to hang on to .. then you'll see the man that held your hand through life, like your holding his now ...

Sending you a big vertual hug... always here if you need a shoulder ... Chrissie

• Such lovely advice Chriss. That really helps what you've said.  You are very wise and I can see the hurt you've clearly lived through and managed to create a positive outlook on when one passes.

I think I will often read your post again and again in my sad moments. Such wise advice. 

Thankyou xxx

• Always here , most days ... you can do this ... baby steps my hunny ... though it feels like youve a mountain to climb .. remember , those that climed the mountain had to start with one step .. sometimes set backs ... but keep going forward ...one day at a time ...

I save my spiecal nanny hugs, for Emily... my wonderful granddaughter in pic ... but I'm sure she'd want you to have one ... Chrissie

• Big hug taken from Emily today

Hope you are well 'chrissie' .

Lots of love xxx