Feeling alone

Today has been a tough day. Stu my best mate was diagnosed with Stage IV Bowel Cancer (Liver, Lung mets) 5.5 years ago. He's never found love and has no partner. I am caring for him. He's had 73 chemos, 4 surgeries, 2 stents and is palliative. Currently having last line chemo and has developed jaundice for the second time. He's so weak, no energy. All I can do is listen and be there but I'm struggling to hold back my emotions. I'm basically living with him currently 140 miles away from home and my own support network. I feel so guilty struggling with my own emotions when it's his pain not mine. I feel like I'm anticipatory mourning today and I feel alone. He's only 44 years old and it doesn't feel fair. I'm so angry that this is happening to my mild mannered gentle friend who has never hurt a soul in his life. And COVID doesn't help because the pleasurable things we can do from his bucket list are so few and far between. He's fought for so long to stay alive and now his jaundice is really taking its toll. I think I just wanted to shout out to the universe that it's a bad day and I feel sad, angry and alone

• Hi there ...

Please know your not alone ... I think we all get days we want to have a good scream or cuss ... and those words "it's just not fare" I know stays in my head ..

This covid has made bad sad situations even cruler .. when my granddaughter was having her cancer treatment,  only mum and dad were allowed .. only had face time ... which was better then some have .. and having to stay outside my big sister's funeral coz only 10 were allowed then ...

So yea I recon we all need a safe place to "let it all out" after I lost mum , years ago ... I kept a scream stay deep inside .. till something a couple of years down the line made me realise it had to come out .. so drove somewhere quiet and went over those feelings and let it all out ...  

Now I know we can't hold things in forever ... and it can be a good thing to "let it go" occasionally... it's about getting things in balance ... so release feelings ... admit just how hard things are ... then get back to doing what we have to ... but know ... your o.k ... it's o.k to feel emotions ... it's o.k to feel angry for those things covid stopped us doing ... and it's o.k to smile sometimes too .. 

So hold on in there .. reach out to McMillan as I know they helped me a few times ... just by listening .. get it out on here ... you'll always find a vertual hand to hold ...

Sending you a vertual hug... Chrissie x

• Hello Rach,

a really tough day in amongst all the continuous tough days that do not stop coming,l can only just begin to understand what you are going through since we had a good friend who done the same for a friend who was around the same age,separated with a young son.

We asked the question of her,who is looking after you?,but l suspect like yourself, her resolve and determination was strong.She saw it through and emerged out the other side, changed for the better she says, and in one piece,you need to make sure you can do the same.

l do not know what more l can add,other than l hear your words,feel your pain and anguish,share your thoughts about this horrid affliction that had a damn good try to finish me, and tell you that what you are doing is so valued in this life.

Do your best to look after you, your life is as important as your friends,

many,many best wishes,

David

• Thanks so much. Hearing other people's stories really helps me feel less alone x

• Thank you for your beautiful words David. I have woken up feeling better for shouting out into the universe. Bless your heart x

• I fully understand your feelings and can I say it is really wonderful that a mate/friend takes on the roll as you have, have a scream if it helps, yes cancer is so unfair taking people in the way it does seems so unjust.   I have advanced prostate cancer and there are many, many times I feel alone even though I have a wonderful and supportive wife.  Cancer dominates your thoughts and every fibre of your being,  as hard as it maybe you can take solice from the way you have been there for Stu during his dark time, he in a way has been very lucky to have such a good mate.  I take my hat of to you!

• That's very kind of you to say. He's the family I chose so the decision was a no brainer!!!! I take my hat of to those of you who manage this disease on a daily basis. Thank you for the response. It's so very comforting to hear other stories x

• Hi 

I'm like egatrom. Have advanced prostate Cancer, that's gone to lymph nodes, spine, ribs, pelvis and a lung, i class it as my uninvited guest. 

Had it since February 2016, classed as palliative care.

Was working to start with then had to retire to look after my disabled wife she needs 24, /7 care she has Alzheimers and parkinsons plus other problems I'm her official carer.

But carrying on as normal, friends are very important to keep people positive and help if possible, just like you are doing so well done you are doing a good job. 

Billy 

• Thanks Billy. Wishing you love and light x

• There's no doubt that feeling alone comes with the turf. But what you are doing for your friend is hugely important and he no doubt would be in a much more difficult place on his own. I know it's a huge challenge to get up every day and wonder what on Earth is going to happen next, but there will be bit in every day that will make it worth it. Something daft will happen, a smile will appear and it all won't seem quite so bad. 
    I should know, my amazing wife is sitting in bed right now with cancer that has robbed her of much of her strength. It's crap and I feel like our life has been torn away from us. But we set smaller goals now, and she still makes me smile. 
    you aren't alone, you still have your friend and the shared knowledge that you are part of his journey is something that will keep you both going. Remember to make time for yourself as well. Read a book, walk the dog, feel the breeze, watch ducks - whatever floats your boat. And by the way, you are not alone, there are several posts on here that tell you otherwise. 
    From my family to you both, keep looking for the best bits in every day. 

• Thank you lovely. Wishing you all the love and strength in the world x