Father has 3 months left

Hi,

My father has a relapse of his Hodgkin's lymphoma after 7 years of being in remission. It came back in July 2017 and he is 65 and just retired. He has had a difficult journey over the last 8 months with constant infections hospitalised for most of it with only being home a few weeks here and there.he tried a new treatment as ABVD was not suitable like last time 7 years ago. He didn't tolerate treatment brentuximab and other oral combinations couldn't be tolerated either.  We were told yesterday  he had 3 months as a maximum left but probably less than that. They are rushing to discharge him from hospital has they now don't have any other options for him other than steroids and want to give him time at home. He has been referred to palliative care team and we are waiting for a plan for care at home. I am the eldest of 3 kids and have been the strong one and the one to handle things.i just needed to get things off my chest the realisation hit me yesterday my dad is so sad and he cried yesterday in my arms. I know I can't make it better for him. 

Sorry about the long post its the first time I've let it all

out as all this time I've been supporting my family. I am so sad for my dad and heartbroken for him and us. 

I had cancer myself in 2011 but have been in remission since. 

Love to everyone going through this awful fight xxxxx

• Dear Soobids, I am so pleased you have come to this forum where I hope you will find the opportunity to say what you are feeling.  Many people here have gone through this awful experience and I am confident some will come and share their experiences with you.  I lost both my parents some years ago, my mum from cancer.  It is like moving into a strange and frightening new land and nothing in your life has prepared you for it.

You may be the strong one but you still need to cry and let your feelings come out.  You might find it helpful to ring MacMillan Cancer Support who will help/advise/talk to anybody who is affected by cancer.  Their Freefone number is 0808 808 0000.  Every one has their own methods of coping.  Use the time you have with your dad wisely.  I talked about the usual family things that we had always talked about - he is still the same loving dad - mentioning family events that had taken place (sometimes years ago) that were great fun.  Tell him he is a great dad and how pleased you are to have him as a father.  Sorry if I am saying the obvious.  Please come back here whenever you want to relieve your feelings or just want to chat.    Annie