Exercise

Before I got diagnosed I was contemplating joining the local gym and going swimming etc, obviously I never got around to it I was thinking of joining now,  I've had 6 chemos and and now currently on Avastin, and my markers are up..... My question is it safe for me to join now?? 

• Hello again Marie :)

I saw you hadn't had a reply to this post yet so I just thought I'd stop by and let you know your post has been read.

It's great you want to get in to exercising - many people have found it a great help on their cancer journeys. I think the best thing to do would be to ask your GP or medical team what they think. As they are looking after you they are in the best position to advise on what exercise would be suitable for you at this moment in time.

You're welcome to have a general chat about this with our cancer nurses as well. You can call them for free on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

Hopefully other members will pop by soon to share their advice and experiences with you now that I've replied.

All the best, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

•  

Hi Marie,

It took me some time to recuperate sufficiently before I could attend an exercise class. When I was ready I joined a strength and balance class which you had to have a referral from your GP to join. The class was designed particularly for people who had strokes or heart attacks and were struggling to walk.

I had two knees replaced almost immediately after my double mastectomy. Many of the people on this course were not fit enough for a normal class. This was much gentler. After 12 weeks of this I was referred to a weigh to go class, sponsored by the NHS to help people live a healthy life and lose weight. Again this was geared to people who were not fit to partake in a normal class.

I had put on a lot of weight with my treatment, so I was happy to join this class.and managed to lose 6 stone so far. After being weighed and doing exercise, I feel a lot better with this class. I am now fit enough to join an ordinary class for seniors and am attending this as well as the weigh to go these days.

I would recommend something like this as soon as you feel fit enough to join in. I was still extremely tired when I started, but this has improved markedly since I began these classes.

I hope that you can find something like this in your locality and that you soon feel the benefit.

Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx