Enlarged lymph node in armpit

Hello,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice please, was at hospital today today for an ultrasound of right armpit as lymph node is enlarged. I had 3 biopsies done last July in right breast, thankfully these were benign but lymph node was mentioned when I had these done as well (although not biopsied at the time), and consultant wasn't happy when she checked me again in October so she arranged the ultrasound.  Radiologist today said lymph node is still enlarged after all these months and I now have to have it biopsied, I'm very scared about this now as it's been months and it hasn't gone down.  If it was anything sinister would it have been likely to show up in my breast biopsies?  Thanks for any advice on this.

Maggie    x

• Hello Maggie

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so anxious following your recent ultrasound. It's understandable that you're worried about why this lymph node may still be raised after so many months. 

As we know from the many posts we see here on the forum, there are lots of reasons why a node may become enlarged and for some people, they simply remain large. Try to stay positive that you've not been experiencing any other health symptoms over the past 6 months that may suggest a problem. 

If you'd like to speak to one of our team of nurses for some advice and reassurance you're welcome to give them a call. They're available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

I do hope you don't have to wait too long for your appointment. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator