Enlarged lymph node for 10 years

I have had a lump under my arm for over 10 years. I have been to the doc several times and told it was lipoma ans not to worry. This became more painful during pregnancy and now at the time of the month.

Had an ultrasound and they couldn't find anything. It is about 22mm. She said it could be a swollen lymph node and wasn't a lipoma.Doctor wants me to see a surgeon who may discharge me. 

I am petrified as have two young boys and have had this for years. 

• Sometimes swollen nodes don't go away.  I had a doctor check one of mine while I was seeing him for something else, and he mentioned that he's had one since he was sixteen.  Can't hurt to see a surgeon, but if it's been the same all these years it's probably going to be okay.

• Thank you, I think that's what my doctor thinks as he did say you could leave it but feel better to get reassurance. I've just always been told its a lipoma and it's been dismissed...I've just got to hope that it's nothing sinister and hasn't been missed all these years. 

• I think most sinister things tend to evolve over time, and usually take less time than a decade.  I guess anything's possible, but I'd try not to stress too much.  

• Hi love I posted something similar a while back I've had one for 5 years since the birth of my daughter been to docs twice probably more and had a ultrasound to confirm and nothing has been done about it I've considered asking for biopsy but getting to the point I'm sick of bringing it up to my doctors because they always say it's nothing I have mine in my groin .as you have said it plays havoc on your period have you considered if it's endometriosis as I later got a diagnosis of this and think that is why my lymph is swollen endo can travel to any part of the body but I've not heard it near the arm but who knows it sounds like it reacts to your hormones

• Thank you, I think I'm reassured it's been there so long and so is the doctor. Only a week to see the surgeon so hopefully all will be well :) 

• Just to follow up. Surgeon said it is an enlarged lymphnode and will operate to take it out under general anaesthetic as it will never go down on its own. Hope this reassures anyone who has anything similar.