Endometrial cancer

Hello everyone!

well, what can I say? I am currently in the latter stages of recovery from a full laparoscopic hysterectomy and pelvic lymph node removal. I am 42 years old, with 2 children aged 24 and 15. So no more babies. I want to give you my full experience so that hopefully someone who is curious or worried about how they're feeling can get some relief or reassurance from this post. 

In February 2019 I split up with my long term partner and father of my youngest child. Our sex life was non existent as he is an alcoholic and we were not happy for a long time. When I had my first sexual encounter following the split I experienced some light bleeding that lasted about 2-3 days. I also had some pain in the pelvic area so I went for some swabs and a smear test. They said it was most likely BV (bacterial vaginosis) and gave me antibiotics. However I then got Into a more serious relationship in the October and the bleeding during and after sex was pretty bad. So I started tracking it on an app on my phone and went back to the GP. She sent me for blood tests, internal scans and nothing showed up. Following these tests she said that if the bleeding was still happening to have my coil removed and see if it stops after that. Additionally she made me an appointment with a gynaecologist at the hospital for a detailed pelvic exam. So in feb 20, I went to get the coil taken out and was put on the Prostogen only pill. When they removed the coil I bled really heavily and the nurse was taken aback. When I discussed my symptoms with her and told her I had a further appointment booked she said I should definitely go to it. So I went in March just before the national lockdown and they found a 2cm polyp on my cervix. I then waited 4 months for an appointment for a hysteroscopy. By then I was so fed up with the bleeding and was experiencing other symptoms too like fatigue, nausea, bloating, pelvic and lower back pain. In July they removed the polyp which had grown to 5cm, and took biopsies of the lining of the womb. I felt fantastic afterwards, like a new woman. No more bleeding or pain during or after sex, I was happy as Larry. Then came the phone call. 4 weeks later. Unknown number but they left a voicemail. The consultant who removed the polyp wanted to see me face to face. The next day I was told they had misdiagnosed me as they had sent a letter out to tell me everything was benign. But a second opinion sought out by one of the team found cancer in the polyp and in the biopsy. I was in total shock. But I knew it was bad news that they wanted to see me in person. 3 days later I had an MRI, then the following week a CT scan. My pre op was the week after that and the day after I was given the date for my op, which was originally 17 sept 2020. So I went home from work that day to isolate for 14 days due to COVID-19. A week later I was given a cancellation for the 11 sept, so I went for it. The sooner this cancer was gone the better. I had the COVID swab the morning of the op and by 6pm that day it was all done and dusted. 

I was home on the 13 sept and on paracetamol, codeine and ibuprofen for the 1st week. I thought I was Wonder Woman by week 3 and was doing bits around the house with no pain relief. But my vaginal cuff ( where they stitch the top of the vagina where the cervix would have been) was bleeding. Fortunately they examined my at hospital and my stitches were still intact. They said it was quite normal at this stage as when the stitches are dissolving the wound bleeds. They gave me antibiotics as a precaution but I stopped taking them after a few days as they gave me diorrhea. I'm now on week 6 post op and the only trouble I'm having really is a bit of groin tenderness and numbness in the tops of my thighs. Which will ease in time apparently. I'm hoping to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I have had to abstain from sex with my boyfriend of one year which had been really hard but hopefully we can resume in a couple of weeks. My menopause has truly kicked in although the symptoms are mainly only hot flushes and nights sweats which wake me during the night along with frequent urination and slight incontinence!! But my post op hystology results came back back clear so I'm grateful that my cancer is gone. 

I would strongly advise anyone who is experiencing symptoms like mine to persist with the docs even in these mad times with the pandemic. Get checked out I was so lucky, I just can't believe I waited for months to have the polyp removed! Even the gynae nurses were shocked at that. They said it would have all been done in weeks if it had been done sooner. So definitely chase everything up and don't let anyone fob you off with BV or menopause symptoms when you have unusual bleeding because they are not always right. You know your own body and can always tell when something isn't right. I'm just glad my old relationship ended in a way because I would still not know to this day, as it was mainly the pain during sex and bleeding during and after that alerted me. 

take care everyone I really hope this helps. It's good that us women can be there for each other! 

• So good to hear you are making a good recovery as I just found out today I need to have a hysterectomy for similar reasons. Still in shock at the moment. My hysteroscopy was also delayed due to COVID. We should always get anything odd like bleeding checked out.