Endometrial cancer

I would very much like to hear from anyone who has been through treatment for endometrial cancer. I have had radical hysterectomy followed by chemo. Each cycle of chemo brought problems from rashes to tachycardia. My zealot of an oncologist is clear that I should have radiotherapy (five days a week for five weeks) but I am cancer free, no metastasis and original FIGO stage 111c grade 1 adenocarcinoma of endometrium has been removed.  I am disinclined to put us all through continued treatment ‘for nothing’  - quality of life matters and radio side effects are guaranteed. Any experience or thoughts, please.

• HI Alissico and welcome to Cancer Chat.

[@Sundial]‍ and [@gamechanger]‍ are just two of our members who have/had this diagnosis so hopefully they and anyone else with endometrial cancer that comes across your post will be along soon to share their thoughts and experiences with you.

Our cancer nurses are available on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m if you'd like to discuss this with them as well.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Alissico,

I'm posting as Steph tagged me. In my case, though, there was no further treatment post op.

It sounds like you've been through a lot, it's not surprising you're tempted to say no to radiotherapy. I hope you have some time to consider everything, and don't feel pressured. You have to do what feels right for you. Things may seem different if there's a chance to gather your thoughts after some recovery.

Wishing you well,

regards, gamechanger

• Hi

i too am replying as Steph tagged me. Sorry it has taken so long but I’ve not been on here for a while. I was diagnosed last year with stage 1b grade 1 endometrial cancer. I had s hysterectomy with ovaries removed. When histology came back cancer had been upgraded to 3 still stage 1b. I was offered 25 sessions of external radiotherapy or to take part in a trial. Some people would have further surgery to remove and test lymph nodes whilst others would have chemo and radiotherapy chosen at random. Neither option appealed as I’ve been type 1 diabetic for 57 years. Eventually after discussion I chose further surgery and fortunately the nodes came back clear. I then had three sessions of internal radiotherapy which has only temporary side effects. I’m now cancer free and just about to attend my second four month follow up, 

Everyone has the right to choose their treatment after careful consideration. Of course different oncologists have different ideas of what is needed. I assume that the follow up treatment is preventative to stop it coming back and make sure all cancer cells are gone. Sort of belt and braces approach by the sounds of things in your case. It took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do and lots of discussions with my gynaecologist. It was tough. The second op was only 12 weeks after the first and it completely knocked me out. Internal RT was not too bad though. My thoughts for you are to think carefully and weigh up the options and discuss it with the experts. I know that it can be agonising and my thoughts are with you. However in the end you have to choose what is right for you and feel happy with your decision. Unfortunately no one can make the decision for you as I know from experience. I listened to advice from whoever would give it but in the end it was down to me! The important thing was that I was happy with my decision and as it turned out everything was ok, However if they had found cancer cells in the nodes I would have had chemo and RT. But I would have known that it was needed. 

I hope you reach a conclusion soon and everything goes well in the future, Feel free to private message me if you would find that useful.

Sundial

• Thank you for your thoughts. Eventually. in the wee small hours after many weeks of research, challenge (and denial) I have accepted that best for 3c1 is indeed chemo followed by radiotherapy. Having been dealt this hand I now see I have to play my cards to best advantage albeit I would have preferred to sit out! I start radiotherapy in the next ten days or so. Best wishes and thanks to you. 

Alissico

• Well done for making that difficult decision. I hope everything goes well with the RT.

Sundial

• Thank you - and lots of good wishes to you

• Sorry I know this is an old post but I was searching anything to put mind at rest and came across this. Yesterday I was upgraded to grade 3 from a 2. As was only a 2 when they did hysterectomy they didn’t take lymph nodes, so now grade 3 and nurse says more tests on womb to see if cancer cells have changed to anything else, I’m so confused did this happen to you and could you offer any advice to calm my nerves xx

• I was extraordinarily difficult every step of the way through my treatment largely because I was denying my anxiety in order to 'survive' in my own way. Now two years on ( and having had a radical hysterectomy, chemo and radiotherapy) I am glad my Onc was as tough as me and didn't give an inch. We all cope in our own ways. If I have any 'advice' it is to say trust your feelings, trust the process and try not to become your own expert in the way I did. Your medics may know sweet fanny adams  about you, but my experience is (gritted teeth!) they know quite a lot about a little. I have my review on Friday and I might now confess to the she-devil Onc that I am grateful. All good wishes. Xx

• I never knew I had so many anxiety issues ️ I know when we get diagnosed with the big C lst thing we think of is I’m going to die, and this is weighing very heavy on me. Now the fear of the nurse saying they are looking at my cells cos might change my diagnosis is really scarey.  

• I too was upgraded from 1 to 3. I was dismayed. And yes, it was scary.  But as my old Dad used to say 'while we have life, we have hope'. It's worth remembering. You do.