End of life

Hi my dads got liver/colon cancer and getting near the end .Was fine 10 weeks ago no symptoms then went for check up and cancer picked up in bloods .In deep sleep most of the time no W but in his sleep keeps asking for his mum and dad and brother who have all passed away.Is this normal and part of end stage of life thanks

• Hi thanks for reply.Glad it's normal and he doesn't seem distressed at all thanks 

• Hi with my dad today he is still calling out then goes to sleep.While asleep his eyes are open  ,is this now close to the end as his eyelids only shut to maximum halfway but mostly open thanks

• I wish I had held my dad's hand more and maybe talked to him more at the end, even though he was drifting, maybe I did anyway, but it's all a bit of a blur and I didn't know what to do or expect, I found it all overwhelming x

• Hi I hold his hand and stroke his head and he goes asleep.He now thinks I'm his brother and not his son, which is hard but not his fault.I would just like him to go to sleep now because he has no quality of life but he is fighting it .There's also fair bit of trauma for us watching him go through the illness .I do hope he's at peace soon as it's heartbreaking watching him daily 

• It is heartbreaking isn't it, nothing in life prepares you for this and I think you only really understand the emotions when you experience it, so I can talk about it properly only with my friend who went through it with her dad a few years earlier.

She was at home, and  did as you did.  On advice from a nurse she sort of give him permission to leave  she  told her dad that they were there and were  all OK, and it was all alright for him to go to sleep now, and he did.   I still think about it all every day 2 years on and am just about coming to terms with it all it all felt so unfair for him to go through it. Take care of yourself too, it is a very hard experience to go through XXX

• Hi thanks for reply .Just spoke with doctor and he said big mass on brain now but still expects 3-6 months maximum.He looks so ill I can't see it but with how bad he is as well there is no quality of life for that time .I really don't like seeing him like this .Today he has slept the whole day so far so he seems pain free which is good .We take each day as it comes