Dx June 2018 with breast cancer, new to site

Hi, I am just introducing myself. I’m 49 yrs old, live in the North East and was diagnosed in June this year with Breast Cancer. I’ve had lumpectomy and radiotherapy and have just been today for MRI on my liver.

• Welcome to the forum,

I know little about breast cancer but emotions seem to be similar whatever the cancer. There are lots of women on this site who are going through treatment like yourself or moving on after treatment. Hopefully one of these very supportive ladies will be along soon to chat to you..Meanwhile I thought I would just say hello. I’ve just finished treatment for endometrial cancer so can relate to where you are.

Sundial

• Hi Lloydy

i was diagnosed last February. Have had two ops, many tests and now awaiting radiotherapy. Can I ask why they are doing an MRI?

• I sympathise with the lady of 49 who was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a lumpectomy.my name is Jayne and I was diagnosed in july.had a lumpectomy in september.was meant to start chemo last week but bloods were not right,try again soon,help I am scared

• Hello Lloydy. I had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy last year. Like Sundial said, there are a good number of us breast cancer sorts on the site, some, like me, [@Sandra123]‍, [@Jbains]‍ and [@Cornishpastie]‍ and [@Warriorqueen]‍  have completed treatment. Others like [@Dizzle82]‍ and [@Mrsfingers]‍ are still going thro it. The support on here is fantastic, I don’t think I would have got thro last year if it hadn’t been for this site. 

• Hi Magpiemaggie. I also have MS which I have had for 6 yrs now and just coincidentally I mentioned to my MS nurse about a month after my lumpectomy that I was having bladder issues which are common when you have MS so she referred me for an ultrasound of my bladder. This resulted in a full abdominal ultrasound that fund a cyst on my overy and a mass on my liver but no problems with my bladder ironically. A CT scan followed which showed a cyst on my liver and another lesion on my liver that was ‘indeterminate ‘ so they sent me for an MRI of my liver on Thursday to try and find out what the lesion is. I’m just waiting for results now. Did you have the oncotype dx test to see if you needed chemo? 

• It is normal to be scared but try to look at the positives. Have they told you that they got all the cancer cells out with the lumpectomy? Were your lymph nodes clear? Is it the thought of Chemo that is scaring you? You will come out of the other side of this such a strong person feeling very proud of yourself

• Hi Lloydy, thanks for clarifying - hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for the results. I met my oncologist last week, I don’t need chemo but need a radiotherapy boost, which will start in a couple of weeks. It amazes me the amount of pathology data available now and how they can predict the course of patient prognosis. 

Does the thought if chemo worry you? Have you been told you need chemo and if so - for what?

there are many reasons for liver lesions, doesn’t mean it’s cancer. Hope you’re not worrying yourself sick 

•  

Hi Lloydy and Jayne,

Welcome to our forum, although I'm sorry that you have had to join us. It sounds as if you have a lot to put up with health wise Lloydy, but it is possibly fortunate that your tests for others things showed up this problem.

Waiting for your results is always a scary time, but I always feel that it is a case of 'better the Devil you know' than remaining unaware of your problems. Like you, I have been challenged by a number of health problems prior to cancer. I also lost both of my parents to cancer. I have discovered a number of additional conditions that I didn't know anything about due to tests for cancer.

I now know that I have a cyst on my ovaries and my liver is 11% fibrosed (they think, as a result of medication). I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 8 years and undergone a lumpectomy and double mastectomy, but I'm not ready to give up yet!

I have had ultrasounds, mammograms, CT scans, MRI scans and Dexa scans (Bone). I have seen consultants in Opthamology, Cardiology, Respiratory, Orthopaedics, Gastroenterology, Microbiology and Oral Surgery as a result of my treatment, which has let to other operations and procedures being carried out. My life is not what it once was, but it is still worthwhile and surgery and treatment is all 'doable'.

I hope that you both get the rest of your treatment behind you without too much hardship and, I hope that you can start chemo soon Jayne.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx