Driving licence

My brother had a brain tumour removed just before Christmas. He did not inform the DVLA and now, despite advice to the contrary, refuses to. His excuse is he will be prosecuted and may face a prison sentence and/or fine.

I am worried that the longer he leaves it, the worse things may become and the thought of a traffic accident in the meantime don't bear thinking about.

Any advice please

• Welcome to the forum Petrolhead although I'm sorry for the reason you are posting.

I can understand why you're worried but hopefully this information I have found on the Macmillan website will help to put your mind at ease.

If any questions pop to mind or if you'd just like to discuss your brother's situation in more detail do feel free to give them a call.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi,

Did anyone on his care team tell him that he shouldn't drive? 

A family member had a brain condition and an operation and her consultant told her in no uncertain terms that she couldn't drive and must inform the DVLA. If this advice wasn't given to your brother, he may well be OK to drive now that he has recovered. He should ask though if he has any doubts. 

If he was advised not to drive and has been doing he needs to stop before he kills someone and himself.

Best wishes

Dave

• Hi 

I had a craniotomy for a secondary tumour 3 years ago and on the consent form I had to sign before the op said I had to inform DVLA. I was not allowed to drive for a year then had too apply . They wrote to my consultant and have been only given a yearly licence since.. I have never suffered any fits or blackouts but just having a craniotomy is enough reason to have to stop driving. I know people who have not told DVLA but think insurance would not pay out if they looked at medical records.

Hope you can persuade him to let them know, better safe than sorry.

Eileen P