Don’t know what to do?

My mum has been given months to live. She sadly has found out she has cancer in the bones & liver which is rapidly spreading! The nurses/doctors have told her she’s too weak for treatment & that her bodie can not handle it unless she puts on more weight also gets more fitter. Is this really the end? Is there really nothing that can be done to save my mum from leaving my, my 3 beautiful children and family! 

• Hello Laa and welcome.    In practice, the doctors are sadly often right in these matters.  Is your mum taking any nourishment in any form -  is she able to swallow and does she want to eat at all?    Do the doctors (and the nurses perhaps) have any suggestions about what would help her take in nourishment?  I can understand it must be very hard to watch your mum wasting away. If she will not or can not take nourishment then I am afraid you can only care for her and make her as comfortable as possible; reassure her that you will be with her no matter what she chooses to do.  It is of course very very hard to come to terms with the loss of your mum who has loved you all your life - it is some years now since I lost my own mum to cancer and I remember the difficulty in keeping a smile on my face and reassuring her.  Have you other adult family members with whom you can share supporting each other  throughout the coming weeks?    Do keep in touch over the coming days and weeks if it helps you to let your feelings out.  Annie