Diagnosed with BC at 30

Hi everyone, 

Feeling a bit shell shocked at the moment but looking for some similar experiences and support. I was diagnosed yesterday with an ER and PR negative tumour in my right breast, it is HER2 positive though so I know I will need chemotherapy. The tumour at the moment only looks to be 2cm and no sign of spread on the initial scans but I am having an MRI next week to check for spread to the other breast or lymph nodes. So far the plan is for a lumpectomy rather than a full mastectomy. 

I have a 6 month old baby and only found the lump a couple of weeks ago so this is all completely overwhelming. I had convinved myself that the lump was breastfeeding related and so the diagnosis was a complete shock. I have already met a lovely fellow mum through these forums so looking for more people to see this process through with. I am terrifiesd that the cancer has spread and that I'm not going to see my little boy grow up. 

I was feeding my baby with expressed breast milk and was so pleased to be able to do this during the current pandemic. In order to have the MRI I have to take medication to stop my milk supply. This in some ways was more brutal than the diagnosis as I have worked so hard to keep pumping for nearly 7 months. I am keen to hear from anyone else who had their breastfeeding journey brought to an end so abruptly - I feel like I am grieving for this relationship with my baby. 

Any hope/context/support is gratefully received!

Keep well everyone. 

Rosie

• Hello lovely,

I am someone who is now coming out the other side of cancer treatment now (ends Nov.) I can comment on the cancer treatment more than anything else related to your baby if that's any help at all?

There is a private message option similar to that on facebook on here. If you click on my name, add me as a friend we can talk. x

• Hi Posiumum,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, how are you getting on now?

Unfortunatly I've found myself in very situation to you. I'm 6 months pp, have a little boy, I have a lump in my right breast, new dimpling in my breast and a tender painful lump in my armpit. My breast often feels painful and sore. I went to see the GP who said it's a blocked duct but after a full course of antibiotics I have now been referred to the breast clinic. My mum was diagnosed back in February with breast cancer so I'm beside myself with worry.

i hope your treatment plan is coming together and if there's one thing I've learnt from my mum is that you must take things one day at a time. When you get good news or more positive results, cherish them and don't think about the next results until the day arrives. Easier said than done. Anyway I'm sending you the best wishes I have ,

• Hi glitter, 

Thanks for your reply. I've had the mri results and so far no evidence of spread to other breast or lymph nodes. Surgery booked for 18 June so I'm feeling more positive and determined.

How are you ? Any updates from your testing?

R