Depression

I am suffering from low mood. That said, I can get through the day although I need to be busy in order to stop me thinking about my condition. Does.anyone have any helpful hints please?

• Get anti-depressants.

Regards

Taff

• Hi,

Keeping busy definitely helps. When I was first diagnosed, I worked full time as a sort of distraction therapy. I took some time out when I was halfway through my chemo, mainly because I found it hard not to lose my cool with colleagues who were bickering over trivial issues which I'd normally have dealt with easily.

Whatever works for you, talking with family and friends, reading, walking the dog, even binge-watching box sets (I read the whole Game of Thrones septology and watched all the DVDs when I was on chemo). Spending time on here, seeing a counsellor or joining a support group - whatever works for you. My poor dog gets dragged cross country on long walks whenever I feel down and can't face human company - dogs don't ask questions or give opinions :-) 

I also eventually spent some time talking with my GP and went onto some mild anti-depressants, as much to help me get to sleep at night when my mind was racing until 3am or 4am. 

Bear in mind that any depression you may feel is a completely normal reaction to the situation you are in. Many people diagnosed with depression worry about "what might be" - we are living with "what is"!

Best wishes

Dave

• Thank you very helpful post

• Hi

im feeling the same. I keep Myself busy during the day and I'm fine. Everyone thinks I'm coping really well. Then of a night when my son goes to bed I sob my heart out. I don't no what to do. 

Wendy.