DCIS

Hi All

After a routine mammogram in April, I was recalled.  On my right breast they had seen microcalcifications measuring 9mm.  They biopsied, but the doctor was fairly confident they were benign.  A week later I was told it was DCIS.  I was told the breasts looked normal, against my other mammograms except for this tiny area.  I saw the small specks of white on the mammogram.  I went to see the consultant a couple of weeks later, and she said "you don't have breast cancer'.  She explained the cells in the milk duct had become abnormal and started to turn cancerous, they were confined to the duct, and couldn't at that stage go anywhere so were non invasive.  They then used ultrasound on the breast and said apart from that tiny area, the rest of the breast and lymph nodes were clear.  As DCIS is confined, they don't take lymph nodes, as the cells haven't developed the ability to be invasive.

I was then scheduled for surgery, and told standard treatment would be lumpectomy and radiotherapy to prevent a recurrence.  A step they recommend as an insurance policy I was told.  Lumpectomy went well, was a wire guided excision, and as the cells are near to the surface, they did it by ultrasound rather than. Mammogram, it only took 10 minutes!  The doctor said she could see few cells left, and again run the ultrasound over the breast and said nothing invasive.  The lumpectomy was over in around 30 mins, and I was on my way home a couple of hours later.  Bruising, sore but little pain.  Only took 8 paracetamol in total!  Felt a little groggy next day from anaesethic, but still went out for a walk.  Have been using arnica cream on the bruising and it has been fantastic in reducing it quickly.  Tomorrow I go and see the surgeon, and have everything crossed for clear margins, as I was warned in some women they need to take a little more to get a clear result.  I have read lots on here from all you lovely ladies, and you are all so positive!  I guess I'm still a little in shock at all this, and am very confused to be told on the one hand it's not breast cancer in the true sense of the word, yet you need a lumpectomy and radiotherapy!  Trying not to pre empt tomorrow, my mind works overtime, but I'm so grateful for the mammogram programme and NHS.  I wish all you lovely ladies lots of luck in your treatment and future!  I hope if anyone has been diagnosed with DCIS my story so far has helped! 

• Hi ya ..

Well of all the breast cancers to have , that's one of the best ones to have .. they caught it really quickly .. so although I'm not medically qualified,  from what I've learned, you'll probly have a little bit of radiotherapy... they did that with my untie .. we both had same cancer a grade 3 but she had radiotherapy after, where I didn't because of on going health issues .. she only felt a little tired on the day of having it .. but apart from that she was o.k .. though everyone is different ... 

Well you sound a tough cooky yourself ... you've done the hardest part .. that scary time waiting for tests and ops .. so high 5 to you ... and if you do radiotherapy,  ask about a good cream to keep your skin nice and supple ... here's to kicking cancers butt ... Chrissie x