DCIS

hi all

Following a routine mammogram which showed up something ‘unusual’ I had 2 core biopsies and a wire guided local excision on my right breast 2 1/2 weeks ago (still very sore), histology results have confirmed DCIS.

head is still spinning, but I now have a choice - breast conserving or mastectomy and reconstruction. My gut instinct is a mastectomy, my surgeon says there would be no need for chemo or radio. I have an appointment with plastic surgery next week to discuss the various reconstruction options available.

ive no idea how long this tunnel is, or will be, or what lies in store for me re surgery and recovery

• My suggestion would be to hang fire making any decisions until after you’ve spoken with the surgeon next week. There is no one perfect solution in this, if you have a choice and it appears that you have, the outcome has to be what is best for you. Take some one with you to the appointment to support you and also listen to what is being said, a lot of information is going to come your way and if you don’t have to make a decision on the day, don’t. Ask for time to mull it over if you need to.  

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

• Hi there ... I'm a grade 3 breast cancer lass and faced same question as you ...

Now I'm 64 ... And to me it was a no brainier, l plummed for full masectomy ... 10 months on it was the best decision I made ... I look at the scar where my breast used to be, and l just think of it as reminder , the cancer was out ... And it represents the journey I've been on... And it tells me to make every day count, to find something to smile at every day ...   

Now if I'd been younger, think it would have been different... I'd probably had lumpectomy... So rilleys right... Take someone with you... You won't remember a thing in your head .. write down questions as you'll forget them otherwise ... Don't decide till you way up all the pros and cons ... Even if it tags another couple of days on ... I did that and after couple of days felt strong enough to tell them take away the boob and cancer out ... 

There's a lot of us on here all with different treatments and at different stages ... But one thing we all do the same is kick cancers butt ...  You can do this ... Even when your scared, and teary ... Just have those feelings and then get a pair if boxing gloves on... Jump in the ring with this thing called cancer ... Look it in the eye and trade blow for blow ...  We're all in the same ring with you and think we got it on the ropes ... You not alone ... One day you'll look back and realise just how brave you were ... And wonder how you did it ... im 10 months post pmasectomy and its flown and here iiam writing to you ... Sending you a big hug ...  Chrissie xx

• Chrissy, thanks for your advice, good to hear your story.  It’s also nice to hear words of support when you need them most from someone who understands xx

• Thanks for your reply, you’re right, there’s lots to take in and questions have started to pop into my head ... how much dcis is there? is it one area or scattered throughout the breast?, what about my nipple, is that affected, can it be transplanted?? So I have started writing them down ready for the question and answer sessions with the surgeons.

and no doubt there will be pros and cons to each type of surgery so yes I have to listen, absorb, think about it before making a decision 

Thank you for the support xx