Dad's prostate cancer

My dad was diagnosed with prostrate cancer in April 2021. He had been having urinary problems and had an operation for thar which led to his cancer diagnosis. His gleason score was then  4+5. His PSA was 30. Since then he has had hormone treatment which will continue indefinitely and most he had radiotherapy on his bladder wall which does seem to have helped urinary problems. He was having to get up up to 7x night but now it is only 3x. His PSA has gone down to 3. His major problem atm is that he has developed lymphedema which is causing him a lot of pain, stiffness and heaviness in his legs. In addition today he has developed cellulitis. He can barely walk. In addition he has a lot of groin pain but his GP seems to think this may not be connected with the cancer, rather that it is muscular but I am loathe to believe this. Its all getting very confusing and I feel so helpless. Does the development of these symptoms mean the cancer is getting worse or could it just be coincidental.

• Hello Dizzyhall,

I'm sorry about your dad's diagnosis. There are some ways of managing lymphedema, which you can read about here. This can occur while having cancer or recieving treatment. I hope this and the information on infections and lymphoedema here are useful for him. I can understand that feeling of helplessness, but I'm sure you're doing your best support him. There is some advice on how to support your dad here

All the best to you both,

Moderator Anastasia