dads got stage 4 lung cancer

Helllo, I was told today my father has stage 4 lung cancer and the nurse said his got months not years. I am devastated  and I am too cowardice too go and see him. I don't really want too go and see him he is so ill I don;t want too remember him this way. I don;t know what to do I am his carer live in a rented home in his name when he dies I lose my best friend, my father, my job and my home. I have never been the best son and I have treated him poorly a lot during my 20's I am a recovering alcoholic and he was the only one that was there for me.

• Hello Millenium and welcome to the forum,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis and it sounds like it is a deeply emotional time for you. Your profound love for your dad shines through your message and I can understand why it is so painful for you to go and see him and how fragile you may be feeling at the moment. But I think your dad will be so happy to see you and no matter what you did in your twenties, you have a strong connection with your dad  and he clearly loves you deeply.  I am sure some of our members who have faced a similar experience will respond soon with tips on how best to cope and how to look after both yourself and your dad during this difficult time.

I just wanted to say that this forum is here for you anytime you need to talk - we are a supportive and non judgemental community and I am sure you will get some good advice here from people who truly understand what you are going through at the moment and the complexity of feelings you are dealing with.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator