Dad's cancer

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer over 5 years ago now and had been doing remarkably well. He also has cancer in his kidney...un related which was removed and that was the end of that.  

Last August dad was admitted to hospital in severe pain and his lung cancer is now stage 4 having spread to his bones and in particular his spine. The consultants undecided what to do decided to hit his spine with the max dose of radiotherapy. I was told at the time dad wouldn't leave the hospital but it would help the pain.

Against all odds dad became well enough to go home but his actual consultant discharged him from his care and is now under hospice care. He isn't in a hospice but is living at home. They gave him a couple of months and said if we were lucky he might be with us for Christmas. 

He is still battling on but no more scans or treatment and the lung cancer is so far that treatment wouldn't help.  I know how lucky we are to still have him and am so grateful he has defied all the odds. But I know it is coming and whilst I hope that we will have him for another Christmas I just don't know.

My emotions are going crazy I feel blessed but can't breathe that I am going to lose him. No one knows how he has exceeded expections or how long he has or how the end will be and am lost. 

I lost my mum to lung cancer 10 years ago But this time circumstances are so different 

I don't know why I am posting I feel selfish as I have had dad longer than some on here but needed to get something written. Also anyone in similar situation...the doctors only guess 

• Welcome to the forum fidget although I'm sorry to read about the circumstances which you bring you here.

I don't think that is selfish at all as no matter how much time you've had with your dad already it's only natural you, or anyone in your situation, would want that to continue for as long as possible - especially when you know that his time may be limited now.

It will be tough but try not to think too far ahead if you can and just keep taking things a day at a time. That way you will be able to continue enjoying the time you have with your dad in the here and now and making memories to treasure forever.

Many members have been in similar situations and I'm sure some of them will be along soon to share their advice and experiences with you. If you use the 'search forum' option above you can find previous discussions that may be similar to yours to join in on as well.

Post as much as you need to Fidget and remember that we are here whenever you need us.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator