Dad newly diagnosed

My dad was diagnosed on Friday with prostate cancer. I feel completely helpless in how I can help him,

i was with him when he got his diagnosis so I know what will happen next and ultimately I know he will get through this. I am struggling with trying to find ways to help him practically. I have offered lifts to hospital for treatment but my parents are concerned about me doing this as they are worried about me taking to much on as we live 60 miles away. I need to feel I am helping them though and want to do it! Have been taking them to the appointments leading up to the diagnosis. 

Just want them to know I care., any suggestions on how to support them?

• Hi there,

I had my lung cancer diagnosis in April this year and felt overwhelmed by it all. All my family tried and wanted to help all at once and I felt as if I had no say as I lost all control not only over my health but day to day life. I wanted to be in control. Of course I appreciated all offers but needed time to digest it all and to decided what I wanted and needed and when. And I thought carefully how everyone would be affected. I didn't want to be a burden on anyone. Only then I was ready to accept their help. Maybe they just need time... reassure them that you are there for them and if they need anything you are available and it won't be an issue for your but try not to force anything, some people may shut down when overwhelmed. I nearly shut my family out. You are doing great dealing with it all the way you are!  You are brave and reaching out already by just coming here. Your instinct led you to the right place. Be patient and supportive and don't let frustration creep in. One step at the time and you all will get through this. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to help. Maybe they just want to keep as much normality to their daily life as possible while dealing with it all. I know how hard it is and. I've been on both ends. When my sister had cancer 5 years ago and this year when I had cancer. Both sides are extremely hard to be on. 

Warmest regards

Kasia