Dad has terminal cancer

Hi, 

My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in April, bowel cancer which spread to the liver and lungs. The first round of chemo didn’t work, so they have tried him on another one (not sure what it’s called) this is a more aggressive chemo and he is losing his hair and getting a ‘round’ face or ‘moon face’. 

I work away from home and don’t go back very often. I’m struggling to come to terms with the fact my dad won’t be there to become a grandad or see me get married. I try to bury it down most of the time and forget about it because it’s definitelty easier. But when I actually think about it, I cannot stop crying and it just all gets on top of me. 

Has anybody tried counselling for a similar issue? Or is this normal? I have no idea how I should be feeling or if I should be talking about it to somebody other than family.  

• Hi there ..

Try not to be too hard on yourself ... I'm not medically trained ... but I have picked up a few things along the way .. and one is where you grieve for someone while they are still with us ... my sister has advanced dementure ... and her daughter was Simerla to you, and she got councilling. . It really helped her understand what she was feeling is quite common ... 

It's harder for you not living close .. you will be going through every emotion right now .. but say to your self, it's o.k to feel like that .. it's o.k to feel scared ... but try not to look ahead .. keep in the day .. you have your dad today .. and phone calls or texts that say... miss you ... thinking of you .. mean the world .. 

Make every day count ... pack a lifetime, into the time you do have with him ... admit your both scared , share a few tears along the way ... say all that's in your heart .. leave nothing unsaid ..

I lost my wonderful mum to a sudden heart attack ... out of the blue ... I never got a chance to do and say those things with her ... if only i had one hour with her ... you have that chance ... don't let one day pass ...

Then you will look back and know you filled this time full of love ... and they never really leave us .. they stay in our hearts and we keep them safe there ...   Chrissie

• Hi Daniella

im sorry that you’re going through all this.

I lost my dad to terminal lung cancer 3 months ago and I did seek counselling after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I stopped when I returned to work (I was on maternity leave at the time) but I wish I had arranged some specific bereavement counselling sessions before dad died to help me take more control and put more thought into how I wanted things to be, although I must add I don’t have any regrets as I did my best at the time.

I do think counselling helps you to make sense of your thoughts and helps you to make considered decisions. 

When dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer I think I went into shock a bit and couldn’t sleep and my heart and mind were racing all the time and I couldn’t stop crying. I went to the doctor to ask for all sorts of different medication to make it go away until my baby’s health visitor happened to speak to me in the GP waiting room one day and she simply said “you can try these things but sometimes what you need is time”. And I knew she was right and that I had to give myself time and support to get through it. So I booked the counselling. 

I wish you all the best.

take care