Dad has bowel cancer

Hi, I'm not sure if people still talk on here but I've been looking online for people who have it, have had it or have a family member who's had it I can relate too. 

I found out 2 days ago and I'm not going to lie I'm devastated. People keep saying it's one the easiest cancers to treat but to me when I hear the word cancer all I hear is death and I'm really struggling. 

People keep saying to be positive which is obviously the right way and I will be positive when I'm with my dad of course but behind closed doors I'm having a hard time with it. 

Not only is he dealing with this only 2 weeks ago he was in a horrific lorry accident where a man rammed into the pack of his lorry while at a stand still and basically crushed his lorry. Paramedics said they can't believe he's alive so I was only just getting over that and then this happens! 

id appropriate any advise on how to deal with his or just talk to someone who's in the same boat so I don't feel so alone. 

thank you 

• Hey Ellie hope you are well.

My dad was diagnosed when I was just 12 years old, it was so hard I made sure I was there for him every step of the way at every appointment every down moment every happy moment spending quality time with him, he passed away thus year after 8 long years of fighting cancer.

I'm always here if you need a chat my lovely I know how heartbreaking it is and just be there for him as much as you can through this journey x

• Hey! 

thanks so much for your reply. 

I saw my dad today and actually felt so much better after seeing him. Obviously the next step is finding out what stage he's at then we can figure out what to do. 

Awww I'm so sorry to hear that. Like you said you was there in the bad and good times and your dad will appreciate that so much. 

thank you so much I really appreciate it. Even though I have loads of people to talk too no one I know has been through this apart from one friend who lost her mum a couple of years ago but I don't like to talk to her just in case it brings back memories for her. 

xxxx

• Hi

My Dad also has bowel cancer.  He is just recovering from an op to have it removed.  He's doing very well physically,  but my mum also has kidney cancer and we've just been told it's incurable.  So we are all devastated.  

It's a really awful thing to cope with.  My advice is to talk about it as much as possible,  with your dad, family and friends.   And try to get some time to enjoy yourself,  you need to take care of yourself. 

If you want to chat, drop me a line.

Jo x

• Hi, Jo 

omg I'm so sorry to hear that. How's your mum feel about that? God cancer is just such an awful disease! 

thank you so much for replying and since I've put the first post I've actually come to terms with it it now. I'm not able to change anything so I have no choice but to try and be positive and like you said try and enjoy ourselves and just be together and make memories. 

Again im really sorry to hear about your mum. Im always here if you want to chat. I've got two friends who's mums are also in the same position. 

I might not be able t relate but sometimes talking to someone you don't know defoliation helps. 

stay in touch 

Ellisha 

xxxx

• Thank you Ellie.  My Mum and Dad are both devastated and its so hard just to see them both in so much emotional pain.   I feel like its not real, its just all so weird.  Don't think I've taken it in properly yet.

Glad to hear you are coming to terms with things with your Dad.  With my Mum I found once we got treatment started it started feeling normal and then easier to cope with.  Take it one step at a time.  Best of luck to you and your Dad xx

• Hi Ellie,

We have just received the news today that my dad has bowel cancer. We are waiting for the results from a biopsy that should show how aggressive the tumour is and he has a CT scan tomorrow to check if the cancer is showing anywhere else. 

I am absolutely devastated, we don't know as of yet what stage he is at. I'm very close with my dad and I'm trying to stay positive. 

You're not alone in this situation, although it does feel lonely.

Good luck and positive thoughts to you and your dad xx

• Hey

im so sorry to hear that. Like you said the best thing is to stay positive but in my original post I said how hard it is. 

We still don't know how aggressive my dads is. We should know on Friday so since we was told we've been in limbo really and I haven't been sure what to actually do with myself. 

last night I had a little cry to my boyfriend because anytime I say the words out loud "my dad has cancer" I just break down. 

its such an awful disease but I do take comfort in not being alone? 

we're in this together and you can message anytime when your feeling like you want to chat. someyimes talking to family is good but also talking to someone else you don't know helps because you can really open up. 

good luck to you too! Xxx