Dad diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic cancer. Please help

My Dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year. He had his kidney removed and was given the all clear. However this wasn't the case. It had infact spread to his lungs and has now been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic lung/kidney cancer (not sure on correct term) he has 9/10 lumps on his lungs and surgery is no longer an option. 

I know the internet is a scary place to read up on this kind of stuff but can anyone shed any light? I fear the worst but every time I try and talk to him about it I get upset. 

Is there any chance of recovery or is it too far gone and what kind of time frames are we looking at so I can try best to prepare. 

Thank you in advance.

• Hi Kezza,

From what I know about secondary kidney cancer, it can be a very hard one to treat. But there are many different types of chemotherapies and targeted drugs that the consultants may discuss using for your father. Instead of curing the cancer, they may decide to use palliative treatment which may be able to shrink the tumours on the lung, slow the growth of them or even stop the cancer from metastasising (spreading) further! 

Also, maybe ask if there are any clinical trials your Dad might be applicable for?

Hope this helps and I hope your father gets some good news! Good Luck. X