Dad diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma brain tumour

My 54 year old father was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma in July 2020. At first, we went to A&E because he was complaining that he had lost half his vision in his left eye. We thought it was a migraine or maybe at worst a stroke but within 2 days we were told it was most likely a brain tumour. A biopsy later confirmed this. 

It has been the most difficult thing my family has ever gone through. Seeing my dad slowly deteriote over the past few months has been heartbreaking. Just months ago, we were going on long walks together, enjoying the summer and just being a normal family. The shock has still not sunk in. 

He has become so weak, lost 20kg and has no muscle left. He requires care around the clock, because his memory has been so badly effected by the tumour that he can't even remember where the bathroom is. At first I asked myself "why him?". Anyone my dad meets says he has the most kind and generous heart and would do anything to help others. He does not deserve this. But this type of cancer is completely unforgiving and destroys lives in a matter of months. It is compelely random and there is nothing he could have done to avoid it. 

But I am still thankful I get to spend time with him, talk to him and care for him. Sometimes a glimmer of his old self comes through and I am reminded of how lucky I am to have a father like him. I know if it was me in his position, he would go to the ends of the earth to care for me. I just wanted to write on here to share a little bit of my story and let others know who are going through this that they are not alone. 

• Hello Aarti

I wanted to post to say I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis but also thank you so much for sharing your story. 

I know many of our members will have wondered "why me? following a diagnosis and it is very easy to fall into a pit of despair and negativity. But as you've said, cancer is unforgiving. There was nothing your Dad could have done to prevent this. 

You obviously have a strong bond between the two of you and I'm really glad that you're able to spend this time with him. I am sure that at some point in the future someone else will read your post and find some comfort in knowing that they are not going through their situation alone. 

My best wishes to you, your Dad and to the whole family. 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator