Dad diagnosed with lung cancer

Just looking for some advice my dad aged 76 has been diagnosed beginning of December with lung cancer caused by asbestos, he has been told he is too weak for any treatment, he has lost so much weight and is getting weaker everyday.  One of his lungs has collapsed and the doctors are just leaving it, the cancer has also spread quite a bit and in 4 weeks from last scan the cancer had quadrupled.  He would not let any of his family meet with the doctor only himself and he has told us the doctor told him he has two years.  I think and also my family think he has made this figure up as he doesn’t want to face reality, at minute the cancer word is banned but he is getting weaker by the minute.  He has McMillan coming in and is on a low dose of morphine to help him sleep as he coughs all the time.  He is also becoming very aggressive (not physical, just mental) towards my brother and my husband, he is ok with me but he just won’t allow me to mention anything related to his health, looking for some advice as I don’t know what to do, also I need to know how long he has left and he just won’t talk, I do not believe the doctor said two years.  Any advice much appreciated.

• Welcome to Cancer Chat, shar2306.

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer back in December and the prognosis given by the doctors is poor. 

It sounds like this is a very difficult time for all of you and I hope that some of our members will come along shortly with words of advice and support. In the meantime, if you feel like asking some questions to someone medically trained might help, our friendly team of cancer nurses will be able to take your call on this phone number 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Also, I'm including a link to some information on our website about the symptoms and emotions people who have been given a similar prognosis as your dad might face in the last few months or days of their life, to read more please click here. As you asked for advice, I hope this can be of some use.

Best wishes,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator