Coronavirus

My husband has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer and is awaiting chemo and radiotherapy. My daughter, who is a teacher, has asked if she can continue to work to support children despite the schools closedown. I am worried that if she doesn't self isolate she may bring the virus home to my husband who is very vulnerable at moment. Am i being overly worried?

• Hi

I understand your worry, is there anywhere else your daughter could live while hubby goes through treatment? 

• Hi Little mo

I can understand why you feel anxious about all this going on and having husbands cancer treatment looming.

You dont say if your daughter is living at home or will she just be visiting etc.

Was your husband allocated a nurse? If so give them a call for direct nhs advice.Or call consultants secretary you do need guidance at this time.

Although your daughter wishing to carry on her work which I do applaud wholeheartedly,this is perhaps a time to get her priorities in order.

I myself are in 3mth isolation at present and my daughter is my only point of contact and if she is compromised I will be in a predicament as will her family. This is such a trying time for eveyone in our position. My daughter is an angel and is doing thev work of 10 since so many have jumped ship,so perhaps your daughter is of the same ilk.

I hope you get this resolved and my best wishes on husbands treatment and future recovery. xx

• Hi,

I can quite understand your worry. My understanding is that patients currently receiving chemotherapy or those who have recently completed their treatment have a compromised immunity to the virus. As your husband hasn't yet started his treatment that, at the moment, isn't a problem. However, should he catch the virus before his treatment starts, it will mean his treatment will have to be postponed and that may affect the success of the chemo.

If your daughter isn't your only point of contact with the outside world and she lives with you, I would suggest she doesn't carry on working or that she finds alternative accomodation for a long period of time. It's sad but at uncertain times like these you & your husband have to put your health & wellbeing first. It's good that your daughter wants to carry on teaching but she has to be realistic in her choice & what changes it will mean for her.

Good luck,

Angie