Constant pinky brown discharge for 3 months HPV high risk+

Hi 

I am awaiting a pelvic scan which is in a couple of weeks but can't get the thought out of my head when the nurse said my symptoms align more with the cervical cancer side of things than infections. 

This was after my smear results came back with high risk HPV

She swabbed me for BV, STIs and a couple of other things and they all came back negative apart from the high risk HPV. My smear showed no pre cancerous cells though. 

My symptoms are; 

Constant light discharge that smells bad and is pinky/grey/brown 

Bleeding fresher red blood after sex 

Pain at various time in my lower abdomen right side

I passed what the Dr initially thought was an early miscarriage a few months ago but the test was negative. It was a palm sized ball of white tissue with what looked like blood vessels. It was incredibly painful at the time and on reflection I should have gone to hospital when it happened. I have other complex health issues including a colostomy and a large hernia and take oramorph and other strong painkillers but the cramps I was having when this happened had me in tears with the pain. Before the ball of tissue came out I just assumed it was something to do with my stoma and hernia 

I have previously passed a decidual cast which was very different to whatever I passed a few months ago. The decidual cast was more triangular in shape and looked more like squid or gristle you see on red meat (sorry, its gross but the best way I can explain it) 

I'm on Desogesteral and up until 4 months ago was having regular short light periods 

Since passing that mass its been this constant pinky smelly discharge that sometimes is more brown. 

I have the scan in a couple of weeks and the nurse said once that is done they'll refer me to gynae depending on the results. 

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? My health is so bad already following perianal sepsis, I lost half my bum cheek and my rectum was damaged which lead to loss of function (hence the stoma) reduced mobility and horrific nerve damage. Internally I also have a rectocele and intersusseption, since I've had the stoma I don't pass bowel movements rectally so the rectocele and intersusseption haven't been too much of a problem apart from when passing mucus discharge rectally (which is normal when you have a stoma) 

I'm just reaching out for any suggestions or advice of what to ask when I have the scan, my gut is telling me ovarian or cervical cancer as opposed to endo or a cyst and I'm so scared about what I passed and what that means 

Any advice is greatly received 

Thankyou 

F

• Hi Fuschia, it sounds like you’ve really gone through a lot, I’m sorry this is scary right now.

I thought I’d share my experience as I had some similar symptoms to you, in case any advice I can give is helpful!

When I had a smear and cervical biopsy, I thought I either had an infection of some kind (which had already been ruled out), or cervical/uterine cancer. I’d never experienced large clots and had previously put my other symptoms down to other things, so didn’t know what to expect. I didn't realise just how many benign conditions there are related to that area, such as fibroids or hormone imbalances. I ended up being diagnosed with cervical ectropion (which I’d never heard of) and now after changing my medication I have minimal issues. 

I was terrified for my cervical biopsy as I’d been having symptoms for well over a year and thought the worsening clots/bleeding, pain and other symptoms were bad signs.

The gynae and nurse were so lovely and explained everything to me, and afterwards the doctor sat me down and explained what he had seen and what it might indicate, and what to expect in terms of biopsy results. He couldn’t give a formal diagnosis as I had to wait for my results but he assured me if there was anything of concern I would hear back quickly. He was also able to give me a rough time frame and advised when I should call back if I hadn’t heard anything. You might want to consider asking some of these things if they don’t tell you first.

I haven’t had a pelvic scan so can’t be much help there I’m afraid, but they should be able walk you through the process and your next steps (eg who will contact you about results, how long you have to wait, if you might need more tests). They might not be able to tell you what they’ve found on the day, so you might have to wait for a follow up appointment. If you need further tests, they might decide to do a biopsy - I found it helpful looking up what to expect online beforehand. You can ask them what they’re looking for with the scan, or even ask what other patients commonly ask if you feel nervous about forgetting things.

Fingers crossed you get answers soon! Take care :)