Together we will beat cancer

Donate

confused and worried

23 Sep 2019 11:56

Hi everyone,

So the last few weeks I’ve had severe stomach cramps, bowel changes, blood in stools, feeling the need to push when nothing is there and just feeling rubbish. It’s been consistent everyday. I spoke to the doctors and they didn’t seem very bothered even though I have bowel cancer in every female  family member apart from my mum (who had ovarian cancer). They think because I’m 32 i wouldn’t have it. I have a doctors appointment on Friday as I pushed for this appointment but can anyone recommend what I can do or maybe am I being dramatic? I just want the doctors to take me seriously.

kind regards and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this ♥️

confused and worried

24 Sep 2019 11:55 in response to Amyloo123

Hi and thanks for your post

It's horrid when you feel unwell and you're also worried you won't be taken seriously by the GP.

It's understandable that you're worried given your family history, but do remember that there are so many other conditions that could be causing your symptoms.

Most cancers do not have a strong hereditary cause although for  a small proportion of families however, a tendency to develop certain cancers may be hereditary. Sometimes, this is due to an alteration in a specific gene.

It might be helpful to draw up a family medical history of your family members who have had cancer,including their age at diagnosis,their relationship to you and the type of cancer. The GP can then decide whether to refer you to a family genetics clinic.

Sometimes it can be helpful going to the appointment with someone for support and to help you chat about all your concerns. If you feel you are not being listened to, then you can also try seeing another GP at the practice. You also might want to read the following information here about getting the most out of your appointment 

I hope you start to feel better soon and that you have a good meeting with the GP on Friday.

All the best

Wanda