Confused

Diagnosed week last Thursday with colon cancer and on the scan they noticed a tumor on the kidney. The bowel surgeon wants to remove now but doesn't 'do' kidneys.  I saw kidney surgeon Friday who said he could remove in tandem with the bowel surgeon. Now he's rang and said following a team meeting they would be 'happy' just to keep an eye on the kidney, leaving me to make a decision as to whether I wanted the kidney removal later after recovering from bowel surgery. The tumor on kidney is about an inch and a half.   Now confused as the kidney surgeon wanted to remove it, but now changed his opinion.  I am 72 by the way.  Advice would be appreciated.

• Hi Dave, First, I'm not a medic, just a cancer patient like you.  But I know that Watch and Wait is an option in some cases. However in other cases, it is not really Watch and Wait. Rather, they do not act because they don't think it will make a difference. But you should not be left confused.  Sometimes doctors try to second-guess how much information patients want. If you wish to have all the facts, then you should make that clear to them. Good luck. Harry.

• Thanks Harry. I hope you are well.   D

• Doing great thanks Dave. I had Penile Cancer. Not nice. Fortunately detected early so only minor surgery was required. That was 18 months ago. I have been having 3 monthly check-ups since then and so far, so good. Chances of recurrence are now low, but with this lovely disease you can never be sure you know what's round the corner. Best wishes. Harry