confused

Hi everyone. I'm new to this  and I can do with any advice. .I've had cancer in 2010  got  all clear in 2011 after chemo and a radical  hysterectomy. .iI've can't  get what I've been though  out my head  I really thought  I was going to die even planed my funeral. But I just can't gety head around  it all and I'm always  worried  incase it comes back ..I'm up and down like a yo  yo   .help xx

• Hello Jules2K, I just wanted to respond and say I can empathise with you. I recovered from my brush with cancer nearly 6 years ago now. I feel so l lucky and grateful. In darker moments I do feel a wave of panic at the thought of it returning. There are no guarantees in anyone's life. I just try to push those unhelpful thoughts away and be thankful for another day. Now is what is important, be here now xx
  • Hi jules

I told went from I'm going to beat this to planning my funeral (only in my head though) during treatment.  Since I've been told I am in remission I take each day as it comes.  Yes every twinge I think is it coming back and at some point every day cancer is on my mind. 

I deal with it by accepting that thats how life is going to be from now on and once you accept it then it just becomes a part of your day.  This thing may come back or not but worrying wont make any difference so if I worry and nothing happens then I have wasted my life worrying if it comes back then worrying hasnt helped.

Live your life, take pleasure in the everyday, do the things you always did and find things to smile about thats my motto.

• Thankyou. I'm such a worrier  but your right I'm lucky to be here and should be thankful  for everyday.

Xx

• Thankyou  also.i just worry but your right it won't help me my keep worrying.

Xx

• There is always that nagging thought about cancer returning if you have alrady had it for the 1st time.

But I also had breast cancer 8 years ago and i have got 2 more years of being in remission.

Having being diagnosed with cancer i took a different vieew on life especially when i lost all of my hair i was told to wear a wig when i was outside but i would not wear one.

Having cancer is draining and tiring but it's weather we have the determination and will power to suceed.

So i  know what you went through.

From

Louise ( Cancer surviver )

• Hiya, I think only someone who has had cancer knows how your feeling. I had small bowel cancer 2 years ago after being treated for anaemia for 3 years. Every niggle worries me in case it returns and is not picked up again. But it's my head that I can't control, one minute I'm strong and happy, next I'm in tears, angry, anxious. Can't talk to my family as they all say it's gone and won't except my fears.  Life is so difficult, especially as I am still in pain with the after effects of the chemo. I have tried anti depressants and acupuncture but didn't really work. Someone has suggested hypnotherapy which did work for someone I know with another problem. I am going to give it a try as living in this limbo is hell.  

Good luck to you, hope things get better, take care x

• Hi Jackiemary You need to let your family know either talk to them or write it down. I know you say that they say its gone and wont accept your fears but this is sometimes other peoples way of dealing with things and maybe they think they are being helpful in trying to diminish your fear. Fear is irrational but knowing that does not make it go away you have to learn to cope with it and live with it. Easy to say I know but like everyone else we all have a fear of it coming back. I have accepted that the fear will be with me probably forever and when it surfaces I reason with myself and talk to myself work it out of my system. I don't have panics as often but I do go very quiet (according to my husband) a few days before my check-up. The main thing is you are not alone in these feelings and they may be irrational but they are not unreasonable. Unlike other fears like spiders etc. Take care.
  • I'm really struggling at the moment. Had breast cancer on left in 2011, mastectomy, chemo and radio with delayed recon. Worried all along since then but had 5 years clear mammogram on right......until now Have just been recalled after they've discovered calcification. Keep thinking the worst and really don't want to do it all again
  • Hi Ktbb

Cant imagine how you are feeling.  I dont think any of us would want to repeat our treatment but there are many brave people out there who do and do so sucessfully.

Keep us informed about your results. 

river