Coming to terms

I am at the hospice sitting with my wife and can't believe she is going to die. Still can't get my head around what happened. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Jan 2018 in less than 6 weeks we are hear with hours or days left. For me like many others cancer was something that happened to other people, how wrong was I. Still need to talk to oncologist again to allow me to process, but suspect cancer was there a while, symptoms presented itself at latter stages and had already spread. It has been like falling off a cliff with only now a chance to grab a breath.greatfull for the time if not brief. We have had chance to talk and put closure to things. We have 2 girls 7 and 10 prospect of raising them alone is scary but think they will help me as much as I will them. With cancer always assumed you have time, sure that is true in most cases unfortunately not in ours. Still am greatful for the time we have. Mcmillians nurses and hospice team have been great, I am in constant awe at the job they do and how they go about it. Will do things to support, hospice is a local charity which my wife did support which I will continue. Not really hit me yet but know long journey ahead, close friends and family around for which I am very greatful.

• Hi MIs We buried my husband today. He wrote his own funeral when it became apparent he was never coming home. It broke his heart but he came to terms with it as he had strong faith in God. There were things I regretted not doing before his last days, when he speech and motor functions started to go. He was diagnosed with cancer on 17th Jan, he died 15th Feb, and this was his 4th time battling cancer. I can feel your pain, and it's only going to get harder. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I truly wish I had done more when he was in the hospice, and the reason I didn't was because we hardly had time alone together a lot. There were always families and friends about. I wish I had recorded him on audio more, so I can hear his voice now, when he could still write, I wish I asked him to write me more letters, I wish we had listened to our songs together more as it wouldn't required him to speak, however I did hold his hands a lot, kissed him a lot, sang to him songs of hymns. I am sorry to go on and on a bit, I guess what I'm trying to do here is to share with you my regrets, in hope you'd do more with your wife whilst you still can. Nothing I say now will make your wife better, and you are right, the journey ahead is long and is going to be painful. My thoughts are will you MIs. Take care. Jeannie

• Jeannie thank you for your post, I can say nothing other than I hope you one day find a place where the pain is bearable. Wish you well Mls.
  • You sound like a great husband and father and friend. It is special that you can be with your wife and share her journey. Experienced care workers can be a blessing and in my experience really love to help so don't hesitate to lean on them for support. Take it one day at a time, and make the most of every minute you have together. I am sure your children will be a great focus for your energy too; you sound like a very loving person; just be yourself, and I am sure it will all work out in the end. I wish you , your wife and family and friends all the very best at this difficult time. 

• Jeannie - my heart goes out to you. Brave woman. Take care.