Colonoscopy results

Hello all

I am 18 and live with my grandmother after losing both my parents to cancer within two years of each other.

my grandmother went in for a colonoscopy on the 20th of December and today she received a letter asking to attend an appointment on the 19th at general surgery. 

I was young when i lost my parents so don't know if this is the norm for getting results or if it means they have found something and this appointment is to discuss surgery? 
My grandmother is an extremely strong character but I know this may sound selfish but i don't think i could cope with losing someone else to this awful disease. 

does anyone have any experience with colonoscopy results? Am i just thinking the worst? 
i can't stop crying and my anxiety is driving me to breaking point. It's also making me feel guilty as my grandmother is so calm (in the outside anyway) it's making me think I'm just selfish.

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated 

• I'm so sorry you are going through this anxious time with your grandmother, especially after losing your parents to the awful disease.

Sometimes patients are called in to discuss their colonoscopy results but the findings aren't necessarily serious. I had a colonoscopy last year and I was called in to discuss the results. It wasn't the bad news I feared - it had shown I have diverticulitis which isn't serious. There are several bowel conditions that are treatable so it doesn't always mean they found cancer. If it is cancer, there is still a good chance it's treatable so try not to think the worst. 

Good luck to you and your grandmother.

Angie

• Sorry to hear that your having a worrying time. My colonoscopy last year showed ovarian cysts not a bowel problem at all,  l had left sided pain and weight loss. My biopsies when they operated to remove my overies were benign so not cancerous. 
    l hope your grandma has a similar outcome and all is ell 

take care 

Susie