Colon Cancer Diagnosis at 40

I was diagnosed with colon cancer this week. Following colonoscopy, CT and MRI, doctors confirmed they've found a large tumour, which due to its size and position, means I'll need radiotherapy and a long course of chemo before surgery can be considered. I'm currently waiting for another MRI and a PET scan to check the rest of my body (they think they might have seen something on my liver but not sure). The hardest part is the uncertainty about how bad this might be and how treatment will effect me - not just for me but my family too (fortunately my toddler daughter is to young to understand). Now more than ever I'm realising the importance of reaching out to those who care about me for support, especially when I'm at a point in my life when my responsibilities are at their highest. I'm also lucky to have an understanding employer who are giving me the time to focus on what I need to do. Taking it one day at a time.

• Hi

Im sorry you have received this horrible diagnosis. I got diagnosed on the 7th November with a tumour on my sigmoid colon 6cm. 

Its very worrying and frightening but the worst part is waiting for results. I go for a resection on the 13th. Im very worried, my 84 year old mum has been my rock. My partner of 10 years whom I thought was my rock started with mental health issues so is unable to process it. He doesnt believe I have cancer which not only is frustrating but I am focusing on him all the time and not myself. Even when they told me I was worried about him.

Sorry I am letting off some steam here. Back to you. You are in goid hands. Have you had your mdt meeting yet? Have you met your consultant? 

You are doing the right thing taking one day at a time. Spend quality time with loved ones. You will soon find out those that are loyal and those who are just plain nosey. 

I sincerly hope you get some answers soon. If you go on bowel cancer uk you will find a lot of extremely positive people going through similar journeys. You will get lots of support. 

Good luck in your journey x

• I'm really sorry to hear your news.  I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer 24th October after Colonoscopy & CAT scan.  I had a 10cm tumour removed from my sigmoid 2.5 weeks ago and apart from a mild infection post op, I'm recovering well and getting my fitness back   I didn't need a Stoma and my bowel is getting back to normal.  I was v. worried about the resection but surgical team and nurses really looked after me and all other patients   I will be having Chemo in the new year as they found initial signs of new cancer growth higher up in bowel and potentially further surgery but I am encouraged by my experience so far.

I really hope that your treatment goes well, keep talking to all those that love you and offer support and let us know how you are getting on. 

• Thank you so much for your reply. Its certainly put my mind at ease. Good luck with your treatment. 

• Hi there, your diagnosis sounds similar to my husbands and I just wondered how you were getting on? We are waiting on results from MRI as they also think they have found something on the liver. 

• Hi there, yes I'm getting on ok thank you. The PET and MRI scan confirmed that it was just a cyst on the liver and no other metastases were found. Phew. However my rectal tumour has locally advanced onto some nearby lymph nodes and veins, hence the need for radiotherapy and chemo. My treatment plan is called rapido, and I've already completed 1 week of short course radiotherapy and just had my first infusion of capox chemo today (I'll be doing 4 cycles of 3 weeks). I hope the results of your husband's MRI bring you the news you are hoping for.

• I am really glad to hear you are getting on ok and that the scans came back clear. You must have been so relieved! We now have a date for his MRI which is Monday and we should know more tomorrow about tumour in the bowel. Thanks so much for replying to me! 

• Evening my lovely

its always a huge shock when we get this sort of news and it takes a while to really sink in

I too was diagnosed with bowel cancer last week and my nurse at the hospital where I'm being treated, suggested contacting the Macmillan telephone helpline. They not only have an advice service, but they also have nurses available on the telephone line who can give insights and information about treatment, options and treatment plans.

where I am being treated I have been allocated a point of contact nurse who I can phone with any questions or queries regarding my treatment plan and surgery. Perhaps this is something you can mention to your treatment team 

I urge you to lean on your friends and family, as much as you can. They will always be there for you, but I think it's sometimes harder for friends and family than for the patient because we are being proactive and working towards our recovery and those closest to us can only watch and support 

I wish you all strength on your journey and keep in touch with this forum as there is some amazing positivity that flows through every thread, and even when we're having a really bad day, it's great to get responses from others who reach out knowing where we are and giving us tips and pointers

All thoughts

fx

• Thanks. The MRI has been done now and just waiting on the results. In the meantime he has been booked in for his opp on the 22nd February. I really hope the scan comes back clear and we can just get this tumour out of him and get him better! How are you getting on? 

• Hello my lovely 

I'm not doing too badly my op is 5 days away and I'm rather nervous/ I'm being positive but still I know myself well enough to know I'm stressed!!

I have spent so much time popping in and out of the hospitals for meetings with pre op, nurses, dieticians, consultants and the colonrectal team I feel I should have a season ticket but I know they are being thorough and they are all so lovely and caring I feel hugely fortunate

i wish you all good things moving towards the 21st it will be here before you know it and then it's onwards and upwards tumour free!!!

let me know how your doing and keep in touch

fx

• We still haven't heard anything on MRI and I think MDT meeting was today so I hope that's not a sign of bad news :-( I just want to know that nothing has been found and we can proceed with opp. Best of luck for you, it's not long to wait and you'll be in the best hands! Sounds like they are taking good care of you already!