CML

My husband has recently been diagnosed with cml and his medication dropped his white blood cell level dangerously low so he had to stop taking it for a week. Level up so back on medication and again to low so again off the medication. Is this the usual experience for people ?  Melonie 

• Welcome to the forum Melonie although I'm sorry for the reason you are posting.

There are a few members on our forum - [@DWhite]‍, [@laurenbee]‍, ‍[@sj10]‍ - that have experience of CML either themselves or caring for a family member that does and hopefully by mentioning them in this post they will reply when they can to share their advice and experiences with you.

Our cancer nurses are available by phone next week if you'd like to discuss this with them as well. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and are available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I hope this helps and that your husband's white blood cell level is able to stabilise soon.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello.

I had the opposite happen to me.

I was on 400mg of medication and as that wasn't doing enough I was changed to 800mg.  This done too much!! I then was changed to 400mg again before going up to 600mg for a number of years.

So this is quite possible that it can happen.  The hospital needs to work out the medication so that it works for your husband.

Good luck.