Clear margins

Hi all you cancer warriors. I was diagnosed 25th July 2022 with Invasive Ductal breast cancer with lobular features. I had a WLE on 22nd September thinking that would remove all the cancerous cells, but over 3 weeks later my surgeon informed me i needed a second operation as margins were positive and the cancerous cells were 22mm and not the 9mm biopsies, ultrasounds, mammograms etc suggested. I had to undergo a second operation on 20th October. Results of this were due Monday 4th November but have been delayed, again, due to staff shortages, scheduled now for Monday 14th November. The waiting and worrying is getting me down big time. Have any of you ladies had to have a second operation and how did you  cope with waiting for the results ?

• Hi Barkell and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a worrying time.

Hopefully other forum members will reply to your post to share their experiences.  You have posted in the 'ask the nurses' area.  You may want to post in another area so other members see your question.

We hear from lots of people telling us that they are waiting a long time for results.  It can be frustrating and so easy to imagine all sorts of things whilst waiting.  Some people find keeping themselves busy while they are waiting, seeing friends and family and carrying on with their usual routine as much as possible is helpful.  Other people find they can concentrate on nothing at all.

Unfortunately it does seem that staff shortages and the backlog from the pandemic is affecting how long people wait for their results, but hopefully you will get your results on Monday.

You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take Care

Rachel

• Hi, thank you for replying. I'm not sure how to ask forum members though. Can you advise please ?

• Hey Barkell, 

All you need to do is repeat what you did when you made your post in ask the nurses, but you choose a different topic area from the list provided when asked where your post will live. Our handy guide on starting a new discussion should be able to help you with this.

You're also welcome to use the 'search forum' option in the purple bar above to look for other discussions about this topic. If you find any members you would like to reach out to, you just click on the pink 'reply' button under a member's post. I would recommending keeping an eye on the date a discussion was started or a post was made, as the more recent it is, the higher your chances are of getting a reply.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator