CIN 3 & pregnant

Hi

I'm hoping someone has been through something similar and may have some advice. 

Im 36 (alsmost 37). I've had regular smear tests since my son was born 18 years ago. Always clear. I have been suffering with severe pain and bleeding between periods and a load of other gyne problems since October 2017. I've never had issues previous to this. My doctor ordered a smear, even though I had my last 17 months ago and it was completely clear. On February 6th, I found out I was expecting my 3rd child. On February 8th I was told I have CIN3.

The fact this seems to have come on so quick is really terrifying me. I went for a colposcopy on March 5th and the doctor said it didn't "seem" to have spread and they would just keep an eye on me throughout pregnancy. They couldn't do a biopsy or offer me any treatment as a result of the pregnancy. 

I'm worried that I wasn't offered a termination because I live in Ireland (it's illegal here). I'm completely terrified that I could end up having cervical cancer by the time the baby is due (October 15th). I went from a completely clear result to CIN3 in just 17 months. How can anyone predict what is going to happen in the next 7 months? 

I've done some research on this and seem to be getting conflicting information. I'm aware that CIN3 doesn't necessarily become invasive cancer. But surely the fact this seems so aggressive should have me worried, no?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

• Hi there ... so sorry you have found yourself on this cancer journey ... l wish l had some words to help but I can only start to comprehend how your feeling ... but this is a place where we are on one cancer journey or another ... so you can write anything and someone here will offer a shoulder to lean on ...

So the only thing I can give you is a mahoosive hug ... hopefully you will here from others too .. if you need to actually talk to someone there's a free phone on here (home page) and McMillan have one too , they are manned by qualified nurses who work with cancer ... you can call them Mon to Fri and they sure help me when l needed it ... Chrissie x

• Hi Aniemarie

i really feel for you sweetheart. Don’t google anymore get your doctor or nurse to explain things to you more clearly. It appears that you haven’t been given any reassurance. I also have to go for a test for cervical changes after a smear. Just over two weeks ago I had a mammogram and diagnosed now with phase 1 breast cancer. Just as I swallowed this news on Saturday I get the abnormal cell letter from my smear test. Feels like my world is falling apart right now. Love this forum as it’s where you find folk in the same boat to support one another. I wish for you all the best. 

• Hi Ainemare

I am wondering how you are getting on? I am in the same position as you were at the moment.

best of luck and I hope all is well

Sarah

• Hi, o have just come across your post and I am in a similar situation. I wondered how you got on and if you have any advice. I am also living in Ireland. I had a smear in January 2018 6 months after having my second child. It came back clear. In November 2018 I had another smear as they were offer extra smears after the national smear test scandal. The results for this smear took 6 months to arrive and came back with high grade changes and cin 3. I was booked in for coloscopy next week but they have delayed it for 4 more weeks because I am currently 10 weeks pregnant. I spoke to my GP and she is shocked how in 10 months my smear appears to have changed so much. I am also worried that something really bad must be happening for it to change so quickly. I have never had any problems with smears before and have always come back clear. I feel so panicked about it. I have two very young children and now just feel sick with worry. I really hope everything worked out ok for you. If you see this post would love to hear from you. Thanks 

• Thank you so much for getting back to me. Congratulations for getting the all clear. Did you have to have a c section or we're we' ok to have a vaginal delivery? They mentioned to me that I might have to have a c section because it means they can do any treatment quicker. Thanks again and great news X

• Oh did they! I had a vaginal delivery. I would only think that you would need and section if they suspect cancer. During my 32 week colpo they thought it looked cancerous and took a biopsy, which came out ok. Therefore they then agreed to treatment 8 weeks post delivery. The only issue I have now is prolonged bleeding as I am breastfeeding, but hopefully is shouldmstop by 6 weeks post lettz. 

‘Do you know if the area is large? CIN 3 alone should need anything but regular checks.

i hope all goes well and try not to worry x

• I don't know anything yet and the nurse only mentioned a section in passing. I will know more when I go to the colposcopy clinic in a few weeks. Great to know that they minded you carefully throughout. I hope I can have vignal delivery like previously. The breastfeeding will all help too X