CIN 3 and HPV

In March 2013 I had a regular smear test which came back with high risk HPV and mild dysplasia, I had a colposcopy and biopsy, with results stating I had CIN 1, on the 17th November 2013 I had my follow up colposcopy and smear test, today I got results which state I have severe dysplasia and have to have treatment in a few weeks, the Dr advised this is not cancer and she doesn't think it will be either. Just seeing whether anyone else has had these results and treatment and whether the treatment was successful, I am having treatment done under local anaesetic also- I also one day want to have children but today with these results this seems a long shot now, I am 28 years old and this has gutted me and hope that I could maybe get a bit of reassurance and advised of anyone going through the same thing.

Kayleigh

• Hi Kayleigh

Welcome to Cancer Chat.

While you are waiting for a response from someone who has been in a similar position to you, I am sending you a link to some patient information which I hope will be helpful.

Best wishes

Jane

• Hi Kayleigh,

Please don't get too down hearted. I know this is an awful and scary time for you but I have been through a similar experience, although mine was HPV with CIN 1. I had laser treatment to clear the pre cancerous cells, this was done under local anaesthetic, it took minutes and I was fine within a few hours afterwards, just a little cramping and bleeding.

I too was worried about pregnancy but I since had a baby without any problems. Remember that this pre cancerous cells which could turn to cancer but would take 15-20 years to progress that far - so I was told. You will be having treatment to prevent these cells becoming anything more serious and it doesn't mean pregnancy can not happen and there are procedures that can help with that when the time comes should you experience any problems in that area.

Keep your chin up. When it's all done you'll wonder why you were so worried!

Nicola xx

• Hi Nicola

Thanks for the reply, I actually got my appointment for the treatment yesterday so at least I know in 9 days the cells will be gone, I had the cin 1 in May and they left me for 6 months and then it's turned to cin 3, it was such a shock that it had gone from 1 to 3 in such little time, and yeah I am looking forward to the day I can look back and think why did I worry so much, I haven't been able to be positive about it yet but I only have 9 days to wait now until the treatment!!

I've never from day 1 understood the hpv, how long ago did you have the treatment? And has everything been ok since??

Regards

Kayleigh

• Hi Kayleigh,

I had the treatment four years ago. Then had a baby 18 months later. At least you know what to expect this time if you've already had similar but that is shocking that it stepped up in just 6 months, I can understand why you are so worried.

As I understand it, HPV is a virus that mot people contract sometime during their life and their body fights it off within two years and it leaves their body and most people never know have/had it. Some people can't fight it off or some types of the virus are more difficult to fight off (there are about 200 types) and it can cause these pre cancerous cells (I think). I still don't know if I still have any HPV left in my body and not sure if I'll ever know but as I was told my body would fight it off in time, I've never really worried about it.

I'm glad you have an appointment now so you can focus on that and I hope you are able to get some rest afterwards. Come on here and update us when you can so we know how you are doing and don't forget tot ask plenty of questions around the pregnancy thing if it really bothers you. It's best to know your options.

Nicola x

• Hi Nicola,

Had treatment yesterday, I had the loop llets one, all went ok, didn't hurt that much too be honest I don't why I worried, get results in 5 weeks to see if need more treatment, they have told me that they are 99.99999999% sure it's not cancer!! So worrying has eased, can't start to plan having children until I have been for the smear in 6 months, they didn't know why it had gone for mild to severe in 6 months, but that's the high risk hpv that has done it!!

I actually watched most of what was happening on the screen which also calmed me down, they told me that even cin 3 can take years to develop in to cancer and the main important thing was I was going to colposcopy and having treatment, anyone reading this who maybe going through the same thing, yeah it's scary and worrying as it's the fear of the unknown, I had a big area removed yesterday and it wasn't that bad, the dentist doing a filling is worse, honestly!!! I also have had no bleeding as yet and very little pain, when I have pain it's a little like period pain but not as painful!! I am very pleased of how it went yesterday and even if I have to have more treatment at least this is being sorted!!

To be a bloody woman hey lol,

Anyone going through this and need advise just ask, I will be glad to share my experience and offer reassurance as that is all you want when going through this,

A very weight has been lifted kayleighmoo lol

• Hello there,

I thought I'd reply since it's been 5 weeks (seems like a long time to have to wait for results!), and I am wondering what they were and if all is clear.  I hope so, cuz I'm going through the same thing (my results are not clear after a LEEP and a cone biopsy).  It is so worriesome and troubling, and I have my ups and downs.  Hope all is well with you and you are keeping your spirits up.  It is good to hear that it is slow growing, although when you go from a clear pap smear to CIN 3 in one year, it doesn't make sense to hear that it's slow growing.  Let us know how it's going for you!

• Hi Kayleigh,

I'm 25 and this is my first smear/colposcopy. I've had my first one and then they said someone my age can had 50/50 chance of changing and not having surgery.

my biopsy showed I was CIN2 which is why they let me wait, but now I'm due back and i it's saying for a check up and then if needed discuss pre op. So I'm assuming this would be LLETZZ. Just wanted to know if I'm to expect worse from a dentist like you said. It's harder as have to go on my own due to covid l-19. But just wanted so reassurance really. Gosh it's all such a worry. X

thank you 

• Hi did you go for yours

i had letter today abnormalities CIN2-3 

it was only 6 months ago it was slightly abnormal with HPV High

now this and I'm worried 

is there any nurses advising me pls on here I'm beside myself 

going in in two weeks for the LOOP think that's laser not sure 

can't stop reading internet ‍♀️ ️

• Hi Maxmill, 

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your LOOP and let you know that our nurses are available on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m if you'd like to discuss your situation with them. You can also make a post in their section of the forum just here.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator