Chemotherapy

can anybody please give me some help on chemotherapy I’m feel as though I’m going crazy with panic , have appt on Wednesday with oncologist about when my chemo starts , how will I cope , will I lose my hair , will I lose my nails , will I be sick , do I shave my hair and at what stage , help I’m scared 

• Hi,

I finished chemo in October and I too was really scared but in my case it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It entirely depends on the type of chemo you have as to how it will affect you. I had fec-t for breast cancer and my hair came out really quick. Started falling out on day 10 soon followed by eyebrows and eyelashes. Didn't lose my toe nails and nails til I'd finished the chemo. It doesn't happen to everyone. I was never sick and never needed to take anti sickness. I just found I had a bad belly a lot but it was bearable and was tired. Like I said it entirely depends on the type of chemo you're having as it differs so much depending on your type of cancer. Try not to worry too much. I shaved my head when my hair started falling out and my partner shaved his for brave the shave. That part didn't bother me as much as I thought and I got a lovely wig. The site is great for answering all your questions so don't hesitate to ask.

Take care

Candice x

• Hi Blobby,

The only honest answer is "possibly, but you may not do" as there are so many different types,of chemo and different people react differently to them? 

What chemo are you due to have? I was on EOX (two types via infusions and one via tablets) and was told I'd almost definitely have all the symptoms you mentioned, plus more. 

In the end I was lucky and my hair only thinned (they said I might lose everything including my eyelashes), my nails became brittle and I lost two or three of them but it wasn't painful, I was at times sick but the anti-nausea tablets helped and I was exhausted for a couple of days after each infusion.

However, I would go through it all again because it worked and my cancer shrank massively and I would have died in early 2014 if I hadn't had the chemo. Most of the side effects faded away within a week of finishing chemo and were all gone within about 12 weeks. 

It is pretty scary but take it one day at a time and you'll slowly get through it.

Good luck!

Dave

• thank you , won’t find out until Wednesday what my chemo is , I’m finding it so overwhelming , from being diagnosed surgery and not needing chemo , to now after Oncotype DX test , to be needing chemo , I’m desperate for people who have or are going through chemo to know what I’m up against , I’m telling my kids I’m fine but I’m struggling 

• Hi again,

When you find out what chemo is being recommended you might want to try a new post with a subject line along the lines of "breast cancer Onco Dx - has anyone had <insert name> chemo?".

This should trigger a response from anyone who has had that sort of chemo. A lot of people are shy of answering queries that they have little experience of, but more confident if its something specific they've been through. e.g. my own ears *** up when I read EOX

Good luck for Wednesday

Dave

• ps I wasn't swearing - the site interpreted "pr1ck up" as being rude lol 

• Hi Blobby57

As mentioned already chemo affects people differently.I am having FEC T, I had the cold cap on for my first treatment but my hair has been falling out at a rate of knotts since day 13. As soon as I've got my wig the rest is going!  Was told to take the anti sick meds at home even if I felt well  which I did and I have not suffered from any nausea. I have my second cycle on Wednesday. No sign of any damage to my nails as yet but its early days, I've heard painting your nails with a dark colour may help so my daughter is going to do that for me before the next time. Coping.... take one day at a time and remember the chemo is doing a job, look upon it as a means to an end. You will get lots of support from everyone on here,post as many times as you need to. Good luck with your appointment, let me know how you get on.

Evie 18

• Thank you , seems hopefully it’s not as bad as I am imagining it to be , just hoping now they leave it until after Christmas Day , here’s hoping xx

• Thank you , hope the next step goes well for xx

• Hi

i have stomach cancer so I don’t think we’ll be in the same regime, I’ve just had 4 rounds of FLOT chemo and I know some of my drugs are used in some types of breast cancer. 

One was docetaxel, which does make you lose your hair, I shaved when it started to come out about 17 days into treatment, 3 days after 2nd dose but I wish I’d just gone for a pixie cut because it didn’t go completely. My nails have been fine, quite strong in fact. I had nausea but it was managed with anti sickness tablets. 

It was hard but each session got easier, I took lorazepam on my infusion day just to relieve anxiety. 

Try not to stress it’s strange how it becomes normal. Look up Liz O’riordan she has a great breast cancer blog (she’s also a breast surgeon) she details all her experiences including chemo on her site, helped me prepare a lot. 

Good luck x

• Hi Blobby57 I had the oncotype test too and started chemo on Tuesday this week 4th Dec. I'm having 6 cycles of Fec for breast cancer. I too thought I would avoid it but the test proved otherwise. Yes there is a lot to take in but I have to say I am surprised by how ok I feel. Yes my hair will come out (around day 15 I hear) but hey it's winter and I can wear a hat! If this gives me a better chance long term then bring it on!. You will get lots of support and side effects should be minimal as you will get steroids and anti sickness tabs home with you. The biggest fear for me was the unknown too. I hope you get on well and don't worry about Christmas. It's a great distraction on the middle of the madness and a good time to chill out and be with your family! One thing I can recommend If you are stressed is reflexology or reiki? They have really helped to calm me and are offered free  from Macmillan. Take care.