Chemotherapy

Hi 
I was diagnosed with Idc grade 2 breast cancer in July it all come as a shock as know one could feel it except me and I was told it’s nothing to worry about. They gave me a mammogram and nothing showed up the scan found two lumps. It all happened so quickly that I feel like I didn’t have time to think! 
I had my op on the 14th August with a clearance of my lymph nodes. 
Got my results on the 30th and it’s all gone and had 3 out of 12 nodes where cancerous.
I’m having chemo and I must admit that’s whats scary me the most I’m so anxious and feel like reality has hit home.

• hi Sheliabear

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too have IDC and it’s in my lymph nodes.

I was thinking earlier today about when I was diagnosed and how much of a whirlwind I was sent into.

I think it’s natural to be anxious about the next step in your treatment plan. My treatment is the reverse of yours. I had had chemo first, I have one more cycle to go and have done 5 already. And it’s completely doable. Everything that has been thrown at me I’ve handled so far. Happy to share more if you have any questions. 

I’m now feeling anxious about my Op. I see the surgeon next week. 

Stay strong you can definitely do chemo. 

X

• Hi Woollylamb 

thank you for your reply                                                        

I just didn’t expect chemo as it wasn’t mentioned when I was first diagnosed as the doctor just said  radiotherapy and hormone tablet, so it come as a bit of a shock! I’m going to see the oncology nurse today but they have said 6 treatments like yourself, I think my biggest fear is loosing my hair and not being able to do normal things as I’m already fed up lol. My op was a walk in the park I haven’t  not had any problems apart from the arm they took the lymph nodes from was a little sore but the exercise helped. I also had a reduction so they bother matched. Just wondered if there’s any tips you can give me for chemo or any questions I should ask my nurse as my brain is numb. 

Kind regards 

Sharon x

• hi

Glad to hear you’ve not had too many problems with your op. 

Chemo tips. If you are thinking about a wig,  Ask if you get a contribution towards a wig, and if they have any recommended places to get one. If you are going to get one get an appointment booked so they can match it to your current hair. I got my hair shaved off as I didn’t want to deal with it falling out, but it’s likely to fall out before your second cycle.

Rehydration is key, drink loads of water all they time, and keep your skin hydrated.

If you have any side effects don’t put up with them until your next cycle use the helpline and they can help sort them. I got bad heartburn, so ended up with some tablets being prescribed.

My taste buds were effected so try and find food and drinks that you can taste. For me it’s been fizzy elderflower, strong flavoured crisps and I’ve cream. I also changed my diet, stopped drinking alcohol etc but it’s not for everyone. Have a look at the Doctors Kitchen and Bosh if you want some recipes. I also drink smoothies and add chai seeds and ground flax seed, easier than ploughing through a meal when you don’t fancy anything.

Get any dental work done if you need any. 

Ask the chemo nurses if they do complimentary therapies, my hospital has a therapist we can use for free. 

Take something with you to your chemo, my hubby and I download a film to watch, it passes the time.

let me know how you get on with the oncologist. 

And take it easy, rest when you need to. 

WL

• Hi

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April and I know what you mean when you say it all happens so quickly. I've had nearly 40 appointments since diagnosis.

I had four lots of chemotherapy and then surgery in August and now I'm due four more lots of chemo (starting again next week) but this second lot will be a different type from the first and I think radiotherapy will follow that.

During the first lot of chemo life went on as normal, work, grandchildren sleepover, helping out with the school run etc. etc. so please don't get too stressed. Ask about hair loss and wigs (I lost my hair after the second round of chemo) and had a wig through the NHS and it's very similar in style and colour of my hair. It gave me confidence to carry on working and doing my hobbies and a lot of people didn't realise I was wearing a wig.

I did have a sore mouth so freeze bottles of water. Taste was weird (especially diet coke) I never know what I wanted to eat so little and often suited me.

The only time treatment got the better of me was at work when I felt a bit weak and wobbly.  I normally stand at my bench (florist) but I sat on a stool and carried on working and that's the only time I have 'given into it' but I still carried on working.

Since diagnosis I've always feared the worst but hoped for the best. I take each day as it comes and 'go with the flow' . The journey so far hasn't been half as bad as I thought it would be, so please try not to worry too much.

Jinny J

• Morning woollylamb

thank you for your tips, It went well yesterday she basically went over all the side affects and showed me around the chemo ward where everyone was having chemo, she has referred me for a wig so I’m happy with that! But like you I have decided to shave before as I don’t think I can bear it falling out. Did you shave yours before the first chemo? 

Hope your well and getting lots of rest xx

• Hi Jinny 

sorry to hear about your diagnosis to. It’s such a shock to as you never think it’s going to happen to you! I’m glad your chemo went well. Did you have the fec-2 chemotherapy? I have felt the same that it hasn’t been that bad but then I google about chemo and read peoples stories and then panic. 

They are wanting to put a pic line in as I have no Avon’s and they are worried did you have that?  

They have referred me for a wig so I will go next week my first chemo starts on the 16th of September, I have to have six sessions in total  every 3 weeks then radiotherapy for 3 weeks after then hormone injections. 

They said I will go into my menopause so not looking forward to that either lol but it’s a small price to pay to be alive.

thank you for your reply Xx

• morning

Glad it was ok yesterday. I had it shaved 2 days after my first one. I noticed that I have some fluffy bits of hair growing back already yesterday. 

Ive been thinking about exercise and how I get my fitness level back up after my last round, maybe small walks and swimming. 

Have you got a date for your first session?

WL

• Hi Sharon 

I was initially told surgery, then maybe radiotherapy. Unfortunately it looks like my cancer has spread, I am waiting to hear about my treatment plan. I like you am expecting chemo. My biggest fear is nausea and vomiting. 

Carrots60

• Hi carrots 

sorry to hear about your diagnosis it so tough having to deal with all the uncertainty but we have got this x

Every time I go to the hospital I’m scared as it’s one thing after another I have put on about a stone as I can’t stop eating through stress.

Have you already had your surgery?

I’m the same I just don’t want to feel ill as I’m a active person and hate not being able to get on with everyday life.

my first chemo is the 16th September I’m going wig shopping next week as not sure I’m brave enough to go without. 

Take care 

Sharon x

• Hi WL 

good news that your hair is growing back, I have been reading up that it comes back curly I have always had dead straight hair so that will Be interesting. I’m gonna wait till my first chemo but I’m scared incase it comes out in clumps I will be devastated lol 

I got my first day 16th September I have to have a pic line as my veins are bad so not looking forward to that either 

i think swimming and walking is a good start that’s what im gonna do,but I have a long wait as my chemo is not going to end till jan and then I have radiotherapy for 3 weeks  :-( 

what day do you see see your surgeon? 

Sharon x