chemo or radiotherapy

Hello,  I can't find any info , my mum has a breast cancer , she has an option to choose either surgery and radiotherapy or surgery and chemo. She doesn't know what to do, what's more effective?

• Hi, gosh fancy leaving it to your mum to decide. Hasn't the consultant guided her at all? So much depends on the type,grade and stage of the cancer....

The medical team are the people who should be advising and guiding your mum for the best possible out come for her particular cancer...

Has she spoken to her breast nurse about it?

Hope she come to the best conclusion for her xx

• Hello and thanks for your post,

I am sorry to hear that your mum is having treatment for cancer. 

I can also understand what a difficult decision she has to make in deciding whether to have chemotherapy or radiotherapy.

Without being involved in her care it is difficult to advise her as to what  treatment she should go for. Normally these decisions are made in a formal meeting where all her doctors meet to discuss her cancer and what her next steps should be. Each case is very individual based on their cancer, their age and general health and also their preference.

We have information on our website about how decisions are reached which you can see here

Radiotherapy uses high-energy x-rays to destroy cancer cells. It's given to destroy any cancer cells that have been left in the breast and surrounding area after surgery. 

Radiotherapy is usually much better tolerated then chemotherapy, though it still comes with side effects which are described by Breast Cancer Now here

Chemotherapy is a treatment that destroys cancer cells using anti-cancer drugs. it works by interfering with the cancer cells' ability to divide and grow. Different drugs work in different ways. This is why a combination of drugs is often given. Chemotherapy affects cells through out the body and can cause side effects. These are described here

The  NHS have produced quite a good overview of both treatments which you can see here

Before she makes any decision I hope that she has another chance to discuss this with her team and her breast care nurse so she can talk it all through.

They have all the information about her cancer and are really the best people to advise her.

If at any stage you or your mum want to pick up the phone and chat to one of the nurses on the helpline then you are more then welcome to do so.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the Best,

Catherine